Chapter 1- A Sweeter Rose

Sweeting- Old English for "sweet one"

------------------------------------------------------

Penny

I can feel myself forgetting me.

Moonlight streaming in through the open doors of my bedroom lets me see through the small,  torn piece of paper held up by my shaking hands. Scribbled in craggy, faded lettering, is a word that keeps slipping from my mind.

                         Penelope Sanchez

I recite the words out loud in subdued tones, hoping that by enunciating them, I'll remember their meaning. In my mind, I know it's my name, I wrote it down days ago when the forgetfulness began, but to my eyes, the words seem like nothing more than pretty letters arranged in a hurry.

The pad of my left thumb swipes gently over the first word. Here, in the palace of Lovely, they've been calling me something else, I can't remember what. It's like my brain has been turned to putty, a big gelatinous mess with no use whatsoever.

Sighing, I walk back to my bed, taking a slow look around the bedroom. It's breathtaking, about the size of a house in the village below, with tall, looming walls tapering into a gentle dome, varnished a light cerulean and decorated with intricate carvings of gold.

Beautiful pillars with elaborate designs on their top and bottom extremities hold up the vibrant ceilings painted like the Sistine chapel, offset only by the more simple arches embedded into the walls below. They're outlined by thin golden frames and decorated by mirrors, where I catch my startled reflection by the grand canopy bed frame. With thick, white frames and a downy, cream comforter inlayed by silver shavings, the bed would have seemed out of place had its many pillows and magnificent designs not given it an appearance of luxury.

It's all very beautiful, but it's not my home. I have several guards escort me everywhere and watching my every move-- the palace is more like a pretty prison than a welcoming home. I can't remember how I got here, only that I woke up with a splitting headache in a comfortable bed, surrounded by petals of daisies, roses, speedwells and a scroll tightly tucked into my left fist.

This castle is not my own, neither is the family living in it. The rulers of the province of Lovely are kind, and their daughter, princess Allura has taken a particular liking to me, but despite their best assurances that I'm safe within the confines of their home and kingdom, I can't shake the feeling that there's more to my situation than I know. Than they know. No amount of goodness can help me remember who I am.

A soft rap at the set of doors across the room makes me look away from the solemn girl in the mirror, its muted sound echoing through the domed ceiling. Pushing my thoughts to the back of my mind, I smooth down the bodice of my dress before standing and walking across the bedroom, wondering if my late night visitor is the princess seeking out my special company. She's made it a habit to come into my bedroom through the balcony every night, her only deterrent the large, clear doors that I occasionally lock.

Without realizing it, I'm walking as fast as I humanely can to reach the doors, feeling my heart accelerate at the mere thought of what we'll be doing in a matter of minutes. My mouth tingles with the memory of her soft lips the day she woke me.

My eyes had fluttered open, my vision blurry for a second as her retreating face came into focus. Satiny, cherry locks framed her pale face in long, semi-wavy patterns. It was drawn to one side in order to aide her in leaning down and pressing her lips to mine, but I could still see its texture and vibrant sheen in the wake of her hovering shadow.

She peered down at me through long, russet lashes, big brown eyes admiring me from up close with a look I still can't quite piece together. It was a mix of awe, appreciation and longing, but something else waded in the background of her glance that I couldn't exactly decipher. Her cool, earthy scent mixed with the floral aroma of the petals scattered around my body, distracting me from her adoring ganders for a moment before she bent down and kissed me again.