19

Gemma's POV

I look online for jobs nearby. I could use something to occupy my time, plus my inheritance won't last forever. Finding a job is crucial, even though I've enjoyed not having to wake up, and go to work almost everyday. As much as I'd like to jump on a plane and fly off to Greece, I've got a relationship to be accountable for. And I'd rather be anywhere where Veronica is.

I stick my hand into my purse, looking for my cigarettes, when my fingers brush against what feels like paper. I pull the paper out, unfold it and realize that it's the recipe that Audrey gave me.

Suddenly, I'm craving the banana bread. Is it crazy that I'm obsessed with it? I've had many versions of it, but it's never like the one Audrey's family makes. Audrey's mother was a genius.

Looking through the ingredients, I notice maple syrup. That seems to be the secret ingredient. It's called honey banana bread. But it's made with more maple syrup than honey. I guess it would be weird to call it maple syrup banana bread.

My belly begins to rumble. I head out the door and to the grocery store. The paper even has which store I should buy the ingredients from. Very specific.

When I'm finished at the store, I decide to head over to Veronica's, since she's got a nice kitchen with all the necessary appliances. Walking in, with a bunch of bags in my hand, I see Veronica vacuuming the hallway next to the stairs, headphones in her ears, and her cute tushy swaying to the music that she's listening to.

I place the bags onto the floor, and stand still for a few minutes, watching how happy she seems to be. There's something about her—just looking at her makes me feel an extreme warmth surrounding my heart. I've never felt this much butterflies for anyone before. Is that cliché to say? Every romance story is written about two people who fall in love with each other in a way that they've never loved before. But that's the point of the story, isn't it? To capture the love of two individuals—a love that's different from the rest. It might not be eternal love, but it just might be something worth talking about. Something that not everyone gets to have. Even though it's talked about in society as though it is.

The purest of love is one of the rarest things in the world. And I feel lucky to be able to love her, even if she never loves me back. But I'm sure, with time, she'll love me at least half as much as I love her...

"Gemma, you're staring again," Veronica yells, as she walks over to me. She snaps her fingers in front of my face, with the biggest smile on hers.

"Sorry, such beauty baffles me," I say.

"Yeah, yeah, shakespeare. You're one fine sweet talker, aren't you?" She swings her arms around my neck, and pulls me into a kiss. Her lips are so soft and inviting. I can stay like this forever. When she pulls away, my heart wants to pull her back, "what've we got here?" She looks at the bags on the floor.

"Ingredients. Can I borrow your kitchen? I'm making my favorite dessert of all time."

"Really? And what is it? Cheesecake?" Veronica helps me take the bags into the kitchen, "or is it a pie?"

"Banana bread. Honey banana bread actually," I respond, as we begin to unpack the bags.

"You're gotta be shitting me," Veronica gasps and begins to bounce on her feet, "I love banana bread. Is this a special recipe or something?"

I grab the paper from my purse, and hand it to her. She reads it while pacing the kitchen.

"You want to help me make it?" I ask.

"Fuck yes. It's made of all natural ingredients, and organic maple syrup? Wait. Isn't it honey banana bread?"

"Yeah, I know. There's about a tablespoon of honey on there. I thought the same thing," I mention.