Chapter 2

~continuation of flashback~

Michimiya was glad to finally be able to gloat about her team. It had been years since the girls Karasuno team had had any really impressive talent and it seemed that this batch's first years would change that. You got back in line for more hitting practice before the game with a slight blush on your face. You weren't used to getting a lot of attention because you always thought you were average. You actually had decided it long ago, that you always would be seen as average in face, body, and personality. The only thing about you that wasn't average was your height. Volleyball was really the only thing you were remarkable at because of this abnormal height. You weren't planning on getting recruited to any professional teams, you really only played volleyball for the fun of it and even then, you weren't extraordinary at it. Volleyball was a chance to use your height in a way that would be useful and appreciated by people rather than being gawked at and labeled as a giant. You hit a couple more times before the whistle was blown and it was time for the boys to begin warming up. As they did so the girl's team came into a huddle.

"Alright, so we're playing against the boys, meaning that today we're gonna have to play on the taller net so, Emily and Mina, you two need to really get up there on those blocks."

The two of you nodded your head in unison and smiled at each other. You met Mina at try outs and she was the current co-captain and 3rd year middle for the girls Karasuno team. At the first practice she had made it a point to come over and talk to you, considering that you were going to be taking her spot the following year, she took you under her wing and in a way Mina became like a big sister to you.

The captain continued on, talking about the different players and what their strengths and weaknesses were. There were lots of great defensive players and some really strong hitters too, which began to make you get the nerves you always had at the beginning of a good game. Michimiya began to notice your change in expression and decided to add a note of her own.

"Hey Mina and Emily, I heard from Daichi that they have a new strong hitter that's a first year, but that he's kind of sporadic at the moment so the only real threat you should be looking out for is the ace. So don't sweat it, just focus on the big guy over there."

You looked to see where she was pointing and saw a tall, built man with shoulder length brown hair that was held back with a white headband. He was midair for a hit that was soon slammed cross-court with surprising strength. You continued watching him as he went to the back of the hitting line and got slaps on the back in encouragement. He seemed... embarrassed? 'But how could someone be embarrassed with such a great hit like that?? Could he hit it harder?!' Your mind began wondering and the fear creeped back into you, making you physically begin shaking. The two other first years who were next to you began patting you on the back and whispering affirmations to you.

"Don't worry you'll block that shit. Show him who's boss!"
"Yeah you'll get him for sure! You'll be able to reach far above the net to get a block on him!"

Their words could only help you so much as the whistle blew signaling the end of warmups and the beginning of the game. The captain called out the line-up once more which reminded you that you would be in the back of the line-up to go out with the third year libero first rotation. 'Thank God!' You thought to yourself. This meant that you would only be going up against the ace of Karasuno for one rotation and if they were quick enough, you wouldn't even have to meet one of his super powerful hits. Soon the game began and you started cheering from the sidelines. As of now, you were one of the only first years in the starting line-up, apparently one of their middle blockers graduated last year so they were looking for a new one anyways and you just happened to be good enough to take that spot. The game started out strong with both teams being pretty evenly matched. To be honest, the boys would have probably overpowered the girls if they hadn't had such a big loss of 3rd years from the previous year. The game continued at amazing speed making the middle school games you had played look puny. You were nervous on the sidelines seeing how much more advanced the playing looked from an outside perspective, but you knew that once you stepped foot on that court, it was game time. Soon enough 3 rotations had happened signaling your entrance to the game. As you approached the net you were met face to face with the other side's middle blocker and with the confidence of your team behind you cheering you on, you smirked at the blocker who returned a sinister grin.

Past the blocker on the boy's side, Asahi stood in serve receive position. He had watched you during your entire warm up in awe. He was so amazed with how far up you got even on the boy's net. It was an understatement to say that Asahi was nervous to play against you. The girl on your team served and a boy with black hair shanked it at first. You began cheering and met up with all the girls in the center of the court to reaffirm that you would be keeping the same plays. Since your setter was up front, you were supposed to run a slide behind her on a chance ball, or a quick in the middle if the boys got a chance to attack. To your luck, the girl on your team was able to serve it to the same kid again, who passed it back over the net. With that one mistake, you knew exactly what you would be doing. After making eye contact with the setter, you began taking the steps behind her to take a big jump off your left leg. You had been working on this move for years on your own, and specifically with this setter for the past couple weeks. The team had to get adjusted to how quickly you moved, but it was all worth it to see this crazy play. You jumped off your left leg and twisted your body connecting with the ball right as you planned. The ball was hit at a hard angle landing right between the right side hitter and back row ds (defense specialist) of the other team, leaving them all in shock. You had landed and taking a big gulp of air, smiled at having successfully debuted just how good you could be. You looked at all the boys on the other side of the net, some of them had moved on while others still stared at you in shock. Making eye contact with the ace himself, you smirked and turned back to celebrate with the rest of the team.

Asahi would not forget that look you gave him. He didn't know if it was intentional or if you were just in your element, but he did know one thing:

 He thought you were extraordinary.

A/N: Hey Guys! It's been a while lol. I've been busy with moving in and getting used to college life so I haven't been able to write as much as I'd like to. I'm hoping to write more over summer break which will be coming soonish so there's that haha. In the meantime, enjoy this and I'll be working on some future chapters. :)