܀ ʜᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ ᴀsᴋ ᴀ ᴠᴀᴍᴘɪʀᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ܀

Jungkook has always known his life kinda sucks. But the idea that it is doomed to failure no matter how hard he tries to rise above its lousiness becomes evident when he realizes, half-way home, that he forgot some files he needs to work on over the weekend at work. He pictures them, sitting quietly on top of his URGENT-things-to-do pile on his desk, a stack that never seems to reduce in size, again, no matter how much work he puts into the task of scaling it down.

It's like writing on wet sand, he supposes. There's always going to be a wave reaching far enough to erase the words etched on the beach.

What's the point, he wonders, getting off the subway regardless and making his way onto the opposite platform. Needless to say he knows the answer to that question. He is well aware of the fact that if it weren't for the "good job, Jungkook", the thank yous and the smiles in his direction, he would have quit already. In fact, he is already looking forward to Monday morning, picturing the look on Mr. Kim's handsome face when he hands him the processed paperwork with colorful sticky notes under every signature required.

The realization that his secret little crush was perhaps more than a passing fancy came not so long ago, when a friend of his suggested he finds another job, one more meaningful and more rewarding on a personal level. He had replied he would think about it when in reality, it was already all thought about.

What are the chances of him getting hired by another manager as kind, caring, and good-looking as Mr. Kim? None, possibly. Jeon Jungkook would likely never meet anyone who came close to such rounded perfection and has long stopped counting the times he has replied "you're welcome, Mr. Kim", while biting his tongue to hold in the words it desperately wished to utter. Anything for you, Taehyung.

The man could ask Jungkook to fetch him coffee at any time of the day (or night) and he would happily oblige. Except Jungkook had never seen Taehyung with a mug in his hand. Which begs the question of what the man does drink. Seeing how fit he was, Mr. Kim's lifestyle was probably very organic. Very caffeine-free.

The more he thinks about it, the more Jungkook believes Mr. Kim does not have a single vice. At the company's New Year's party, Taehyung had shunned the bar, raising his champagne flute at midnight like everyone else only to set it down on the nearest table without even taking a sip.

Jungkook should really make some major adjustments to his favourite daydream in which he runs into the object of his fantasies at a nightclub and offers him a glass of his liquor of choice. He makes a note to revise this dreamy scenario on his way home and focuses on navigating the now dark and empty office all the way to his desk. He decides against turning on any lights, knowing his way around well enough to avoid getting lost in the labyrinth of cubicles.

He is waiting for an elevator when a silly thought strikes him like a bolt of thunder in the middle of the lobby.

Everyone has gone home. Including his beloved Mr. Kim. If Jungkook were to take a quick peek inside the man's office, no one would know since the CCTV cameras are restricted to hallways and vestibules. A shiver of anticipation runs down his spine. Jungkook is suddenly all giddy at the thought of playing detective. What he is looking for exactly, he doesn't know. Perhaps a forgotten mug with dried-up tea leaves sitting at the bottom. Or a bottle of vermouth, standing half-empty in a lonely cupboard. Anything that could help him figure out what he is supposed to offer Taehyung, should the occasion to buy the man a drink ever arise. Better to be prepared than ignorant.

The door opens without resistance, and that alone should tip Jungkook off because why would a manager's office not be locked at this hour? When he sees he has company, it is already too late. The blinds are opened, allowing the night lights in, tracing the contours of the black leather executive chair which twirls quietly. It soon reveals a silhouette Jungkook knows well enough to recognize in an instant. Who else can pull off broad shoulders on such a slender waist?