E I G H T

My body breaks into a cold sweat. I had no idea my publisher would invite Daksh
Karan's biggest enemy. Even though I haven't agreed to a book deal with Daksh, I know Karan will feel betrayed.

'Oh Teju, don't mind us. If you and Karan need a moment, go ahead.'

'Yeah, Teja. Don't let us stop you...'

The smug look on Daksh face my blood pressure spike. He presumably still believe that me and Karan have slept together.

With a deep sigh. I get up from the table drawing Karan aside for privacy.

'Karan, I can explain.'

'Oh, I can't wait to hear this.'

'Karan, Don't be like this-'

Before I can say any more in move somewhere more private. Dhriti gets to her feet her phone tucked between her ear and shoulder.

'Sorry I have to take this I will be right back.'

The minute she left the table. Daksh turn s to me with a disdainful expression.

'I knew you two were fucking each other.'

I can't help but Flinch

'Daksh, how is that any of your business?'

'How is it my business if micro writer and defence attorney I am facing in court are fucking.
I think you can answer that one yourself, Teju.'

'You are wrong, Daksh.'

Even though he is addressing Daksh. Karan looks at me dead in the eye.

'There's nothing between us.'

My heart sinks. Something better and painful flickers in Karan's eyes.
He walks away from the table leaving me and Daksh behind.

'Karan is incapable being in the company of a beautiful woman without trying to sleep with her. And clearly you are little more than a trashy tabloid reporter.'

I get to my feet my hands are shaking with rage. Karan is at the bar watching me and Daksh with his eyes narrowed as as he listen to our conversation.

'Its good it's time someone put you and Kundrra in your place.'

'Congratulations, Daksh. You just started your hope of ever getting a book deal.'

'Oh really explain that.'

'Dhriti will never give give you a deal without an experienced co-author. Since I'm nothing more than a..... What did you call me?
A trashy tabloid reporter I think it was?
You probably wouldn't want me as a Co-writer anyways would you?
Except for the fact that I am "Mumbai Times" bestseller
And the fact that I am going to tell my editors and every crime reporter in the city about this incident.'

'You can't do that!'

'I think you will find that I can, actually'

I Stand up from the table. Daksh looks as though he's on verge of a Full-on tantrum.

Karan smirks at the sight of Daksh enraged expression.

'Good luck finding that co- author, Mr Malhotra.'

As I leave, I run into Dhriti, who is busy talking a phone back into her purse.

'Teju, leaving so soon?'

'Dhriti I can't take the deal.'

'What? Did something happen?'

'He's been incredibly disrespectful to me in fact he just called me a trashy tabloid reporter
I didn't want to say anything but I felt you deserve to know the kind of person he really is.'