Chapter 12: Henry

I'm sitting on Jacquie's couch. It's honestly a bit boring. There's a romcom playing but it's one of the cringiest movies I've ever seen. LaTroy, Amy and Piper have all already left and I don't blame them. The only reason I'm still here is to make sure nothing happens between Noah and Jacquie. They've been flirting all evening, and Richelle's just been sitting in a corner watching them. Just like I have.

I know I should talk to Noah about this but I'll assume he'll just deny it. It's bad enough he's close to cheating on his girlfriend, but he'd be doing it with Jacquie. The Jacquie that broke my heart when she said I wasn't a good enough dancer.

Jacquie finally gets up and goes upstairs, and Noah comes over to me instead. "Yo man, what's up?" he says. "What the hell?" I say. He looks confused and it just makes me angry. Does he seriously not see that what he's doing is wrong. "What?" he asks defensively. "You've been flirting with Jacquie all evening. You've literally got a girlfriend but that doesn't seem to be bothering you." "Look" Noah says, looking around nervously. "It's none of your business so leave me alone." "That Jacquie broke my heart and you're my best friend. It is my business." "It happened three years ago. Nothing is happening between me and Jacquie, and even if something was, I don't need to tell you. Grow up and get over it!" I stare at the guy who used to be my best friend and scoff. Then I get up and leave.

I get into my car and scroll through my contacts until I get to Amy. 'You ok?' I type. I press send. She's looked down recently, and she left the party very quickly. I think she's still upset over what happened at regionals, and I really want to be there for her. I think she needs a friend right now. 'Yeah, just tired.' Amy responds almost instantly. 'Really?' I message back. She types for a moment, then deletes the message she was planning on sending. 'No' is all I get in response. 'Can I come over?' I send. 'We can watch movies if you want?' 'Yeah that would be nice' is her reply. I smile. At least I have one friend who isn't a jerk.