14 - A Higher Power

It had been a few days since the last phone call she had with Jared, and she didn't want to talk to any of the guys. Not before what she was about to do. The least of all Jared; she didn't know what he had told the guys, but apparently Eliot had managed to send McMillan and O'Connor to Olympic Dam for her. She didn't know how they could help; they needed to be somewhere they could help everyone else and make sure they all stayed alive. Kaely was dead as it was; they were useless with her anyway. She didn't protest, however, when they came out with a proposal that Kaely couldn't refuse. Obviously, she listened. It was a way everyone could live and the man could be revealed. Kaely told them where she was going to be to help their cause, and prayed that Eliot wasn't using them to get her location. He was still sick; he couldn't risk himself more than he already had.

"You're trusting the same Feds that shot you over your friends?" Oliver snapped when he saw them, clad in their black suits and fancy ties. "I know that I haven't known you for very long, but a lot of people are telling me that they would be pissed if you got yourself killed; are you really going to risk that?"

"Please, relax," Kaely told him with a sigh as she rubbed her forehead with her fingers, attempting to soothe the headache that was pounding in her head. "Eliot sent them; they told me that Jared told the guys what was going to happen so Eliot told them to meet me. Although I don't know how they can help."

"You could always let me help," Oliver suggested, "and that way, I won't get my head ripped off for not being able to stop you from doing anything stupid."

Kaely scoffed. "Please," she muttered, "If your head's being ripped off for anything, it's for you being in Australia."

Oliver looked at her and threw his arms up in defeat, grumbling something about a burger before he walked outside. It was around noon, so that was understandable. Kaely wasn't hungry; she hadn't been since she got that phone call. She ate little, she slept less, and all the while she thought too much. She didn't know what she was doing anymore; this wasn't her life. A little under a month ago, Kaely was serving tables in a café and had never seen a gun before, and now she was forming a plan to double-cross a very powerful man with a pair of FBI agents that shot her the first time they'd encountered her. It seemed ridiculous, but she knew that it was very, very real, and that was what she was afraid of. She was afraid of losing herself. She was afraid of what she was becoming.

And she was afraid that there would be no getting herself back once she was gone.

"Kaely?"

Kaely glanced up, her head up to support her face. "Hm?" she murmured, catching her eyes onto McMillan. McMillan tilted his head sideways, cleared his throat and continued.

"I was saying," he repeated, "that we have finalised the plan. Your part is quite simple; listen to the American and do as he says. Let us handle the rest."

Kaely frowned. "What, you're not going to fill me in?" she pressed, suddenly alarmed. "You're going to send me in blind?"

"From experience," Lexus called across the room of Oliver's living area, "I can tell you that it's for the best. The less you know, the better. It'll make it more convincing."

"Yeah, because you have a habit of sending people off to their deaths without telling them what's going to happen," Kaely shot back bitterly and paced the floor of the room in a pair of black jeans and a t-shirt. Her thin brown hair was tied up behind her head; mostly because it was annoying her. The littlest things were beginning to get on her nerves; she was beginning to get anxious.

She only hoped that O'Connor and McMillan knew what they were doing; if anything in the slightest went wrong, she would not be getting out of Darwin alive.