Chapter II

ELOISE

It was shocking seeing Westin hit him. Westin had all the muscle mass of a ball of yarn, and Lord Laroux loomed over everyone like a giant. For a moment, no one stirred. Time skidded to a halt. A silence engulfed the front yard of the palace. Lord Laroux's family's eyes were wide with shock, and some clasped their hands over their mouths. But no one made a sound. Even the guards were still as statues, standing in the snow with their blades drawn, just waiting for someone to issue an order. My father's hand was covering his mouth and it looked like he was struggling to hold back laughter. Knowing him, it would only be a matter of time until that dam broke. But my mother didn't look half as amused. She was giving Lord Laroux the same killing stare that Westin was giving him. It was clear to me that if Westin hadn't hit him, Mother would have. I knew that Mother and Westin loved Aunt Evie dearly. The mention of her name never failed to curve their lips into a frown. But it never made them violent before that day.

Cold gusts hit my face like a sharp knife. It picked up the snow and tossed it around, giving birth to a white mist. The mist seeped into my boots and melted into icy water that froze my feet. But the silence was so cold that the winter felt warm.

The wind whistled. Branches creaked as they swayed and cried as they bumped into each other. But the silence was so intense that it drowned out all other sounds.

It was Lady Esmeralda Laroux who broke the silence. She wore a dress of yellow fabric with a black fur coat around it. Her hood was drawn over her head and her golden hair spilled out of it. Her body shook with rage as did her voice. Her venomous eyes bore down on Westin. She radiated an intense hatred and I was surprised when it didn't melt the snow.

"You have no right!" Her words were a snake's hiss. "My queen, I demand you discipline your brother!"

"My lord uncle had every right!" Will spat, his voice was quicker and sharper than any arrow. Then he turned his attention to Lord Laroux. "Say her name again, I dare you! Taste her name on your forked tongue and tell me how it tastes after what you did to her!" My brother's voice rose, spit flew from his mouth. He knew Aunt Evie very well. He loved her the same way he loved Mother.

Lord Laroux opened his mouth to speak, but he was cut off before he could utter a word.

"You audacious cuck!" Harold Laroux roared at Will. Harold was Ayden Laroux's eldest son and the heir to Highedge. He wore a yellow tunic with black trimming. His golden hair shone in the sunlight like a thorny crown. As the heir of House Laroux, he was always quick to defend the honour of his name. "My lord father did no wrong. If it wasn't for what he did, you would not sit on your throne today!" Harold drew his sword and pointed it at Will. The light sparkled on the steel. Will did not back away, instead, his hand fell to his hilt.

"Enough!" Lord Laroux's voice boomed like thunder, all the bickering came to a halt, but the air was still thick with tension. "I should not have spoken her name, I apologise. I was wrong to tear open old wounds. Harold, put your damn sword away! You know better than to bear arms against your prince."

Harold's face turned red and he looked down at his feet. He slid his sword back into his sheathe.

"You too, boy." Father grumbled as he hit Will on the back of his head. "Cousin's don't fight."

Mother's stare cut like daggers, but she hastily put on a neighbourly smile. "We too are at fault, Lord Laroux. I pray we can start this visit over and forget this?" She held out a hand and Lord Laroux shook it. But that did not remove any of the animosity from the air. Westin's raging eyes were still piercing Lord Laroux. Will and Harlod's were locked in a silent war. And Lady Laroux was still looking at Westin as if she wanted to kill him. If it wasn't for the guards, she may have tried.