chapter two

chapter two

 When a loud thud comes from my window, the sound of something hard hitting the side of our house, my first thought is that, this is it. I'm going to die, and I haven't even finished my Economics paper.

I hear the sound again, and decide to brave a look out my window, pulling back my curtains softly. It's ten-thirty at night, and if this sound doesn't stop it's going to wake up my mom.

"AJ!" someone shouts, and I peer out into the darkness, seeing a boy standing on the roof of the Tate house.

"Oliver?" I ask, and then I realize that I am inside, and whoever that is, is in fact not inside my house with me. I open my window, to get a clear look at the boy, whose features are beginning to resemble Oliver Tate's.

"AJ, come out here!" the boy shouts again, and this time I'm certain that it's Oliver. He's been the only person to ever call me AJ, when all of my friends were calling me Dee and Deana. He had to be special, and he knew that I wouldn't tell people my middle name frequently.

I climb through my window and out onto my roof, like I had done many times as a child. It's cold outside, and for some reason I continuously forget that we're swiftly approaching winter. I'm dressed in a ratty t-shirt and sweatpants, and for a moment, I want to go inside and get changed, not wanting Oliver to see me like this. And then I remember that this is Oliver Tate, and I refuse to let myself become a different person for him.

"Do you want my jacket?" he asks me as he walks closer to my roof, and I forgot how close our houses actually are. The distance between our two rooftops was probably close to two feet, but when we were younger it felt much larger.

I don't say anything, but watch as he takes a large step onto my roof, and slides off his letterman jacket. "I figured we could finish that interview, if you're okay with it?" He holds out his letterman jacket, and I take it, giving him a grateful smile as I slide the jacket over my thin shirt.

"I'll be right back, okay?" I ask him and he nods his head. I climb back through my window, and immediately close my bedroom door. I grab my phone and notebook from where I've set them on my desk, and then climb back through my window, trying my best not to look winded.

"So, what're you doing up so late?" he asks me, now laying down, looking up at the sky.

"I have an Econ paper due tomorrow," I tell him, taking a seat next to him and pulling out my notebook. The only light is the light that is coming from my bedroom, and the way that it hits Oliver's face is a whole other story.