i.

"yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me

"yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me."

the fog was nearly impossible to see through. all that could be heard was the sound of the waves slapping against the side of the ship, and the occasional bark of an order towards a crew mate.

"yo, ho, yo, ho, it's a pirate's life for me ..."

it's a quiet voice singing by the railing of the ship. one that molly dawson hadn't come across just yet. currently, she was speaking with the lieutenant, james norrington, and governor weatherby swann. she was curious about the journey, simply asking a few questions to see what was happening. initially, she was charged with watching the governors' daughter, making sure the young girl didn't get herself into any trouble was her main duty.

"... drink up me hearties, yo, ho ... we extort and pilfer, we filch and sack ... drink up me hearties, yo ho ..."

a gasp escapes the singing girl suddenly as the hand of mr.gibbs lands on the girl's shoulder, startling elizabeth as he shushes her, causing her to turn and look at him with wide, frightened eyes. she didn't think she had done anything wrong, elizabeth was simply singing a song she found fascinating.

"quiet, missy! cursed pirates sail these waters. you want to call 'em down on us?"

molly lifted her head, finally taking notice of what was happening. she nudged lieutenant norrington to get his attention, gesturing to what was happening between gibbs and elizabeth.

a tired sigh escapes the lieutenant as he turns to step towards the pair, clearing his throat before speaking.

"mr. gibbs." norrington's voice was rather stern. "that will do."

molly and governor swann had followed behind him, but molly made her way towards elizabeth, standing behind the girl with her hands gently resting on her shoulders. She smiles at her before looking at the men before them.

mr. gibbs got a tad defensive, it was clear in his tone. "she was singing about pirates. bad luck to sing about pirates, with us mired in this unnatural fog -- mark my words."

the young lieutenant wasn't amused by any means.

"consider them marked. on your way."

molly and elizabeth looked at each other as gibbs walked off, making a comment about what bad luck it was to bring a woman aboard, especially a young one. molly had to fight the urge to roll her eyes as he took a swig from a flask as he walked off. she couldn't help but tire of the men and their superstitions when it came to the sea. she could easily understand why they thought that way, but it did annoy her at times.

"I think it would be rather exciting to meet a pirate." elizabeth said in a hopeful tone, looking from molly to norrington.

molly gave her a gentle squeeze on her shoulders, shaking her head.