Arc-1 Chapter-14: What is Wild Boar Hunting?

The battle is decided before it even begins. That's what the old and modern military strategists are saying. That isn't only limited to a battle between humans. Even if the opponent is a wild boar, the outcome is determined by the assumptions made beforehand.

    "Yukiho, don't make a sound."

    "Okay...!"

    First things first, I quickly assessed the situation. Fortunately, the wind is currently blowing towards us, so there is little chance of it detecting us by scent. We can also determine the route back from the footprints we left.

    It's not easy to hunt a boar of that size, even if we have a hunting rifle there is still the possibility that it will escape, and all we have are knives and axes made of stones. Still, the conditions aren't bad. The terrain is flat and easy to move on, and there are no other creatures around. I also know how to fight a wild boar.

    "Now, let's do this."

    "What do you want me to do?"

    "You're going to stay here and support me. I'm going to fight it on my own."

    "But it's dangerous. We should fight together."

    "I know how you feel, but it'll be more dangerous that way."

    "Is it because I'm useless....?"

    "No. It's because all we have are melee weapons, there is a chance that we'll hit each other. We can't very well give it our all if we're afraid of hitting each other now, can't we. This way we could utilize our full strength."

    "Ah, I see...that is true."

    "So I'll go in alone. If I'm in danger, You can provide support from the flanks. If needed I'll give you instructions on what to do."

    "All right."

    "Stay put till I call for you."

    "Okay."

    I pulled out my knife and held it with my left hand as I sneaked to the side, the boar's blind spot. The boar is currently absorbed in its meal, I wonder if those are mushrooms it's eating.

    I quietly crept up but during the process, I accidentally stepped on a twig. The sound caused the boar to turn and our eyes met. My surprise attack failed. The only option left is a head-on confrontation. However, it is still not out of the realm of possibility, so no problem.

    "Uooooo!"

    The first thing I did was jump at it. I aim my axe at the boar's head and hit my mark. However, the wound isn't fatal so it's still alive and moving. Since it's a handmade axe out of stone when I stuck its head the handle snapped off.

    "Gu-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!"

    The boar lunged at me with the broken axe stuck in its head.

    "Whoa...!" I stepped to the side and narrowly avoided it, if it had hit me several ribs would have been broken.

    Thud! The boar crashed into a tree and the axe that was stuck in its head fell out.

    "Bu~o! Bu~o!"

    Judging from the fact that it turned around and is now facing me again, it probably isn't interested in escaping.

    "Yukiho! Throw the stone axe at it! Do it now! I don't care if it misses!"

    "Throw it!?"

    "That's right! Hurry up!"

    "Copy that!"