|PROLOGUE|

Omniscient

Effie, Deena, Lorell, and Michelle walked out of the Detroit theater hand in hand. Immediately they were greeted with a whole slew of fans, photographers, and even their family. As the girls stood there on the red carpet, a myriad of emotions shone in their spirits. Effie, overwhelmed.

For the last nine years, her life had looked like everything but this. There was no glamour. There was no applause. There wasn't even this feeling of being loved by anyone other than her child. And just like that, she was soaking up the spotlight and the love that came with it again. And loving it. Deena, torn.

Performing beside her estranged best friend for the first time in such a long time felt so good! But it didn't take very long to remember that this was the very last time she would ever have that opportunity. So this would be the very last time she felt that feeling. And it felt like it was her fault. And that hurt. Lorell was relieved. She loved performing with her sisters. She always has. But losing Jimmy, even after breaking it off, left everything next to breathing feeling like a burden.

Losing Jimmy taught Lorell to cherish love. And she would always cherish the relationship she had with Effie, Deena, and even Michelle. But without the love of her life there to bring light to it everything felt dull. And Michelle. Michelle was a lot of things. But tonight, most of all she was disappointed that this was over just as she had started to feel noticed.

As The Dreams stood there smiling, waving, and blowing kisses, Magic approached them, with C.C. and Marty at her side. Just a few moments ago, she'd seen her mother with stars in her eyes for the first time in her life. Her mother was glowing. And it made her smile.

"Mama you were wonderful," Magic reached out to touch Effie's hand and she pulled her in for a big hug. "Thank you ladybug."
"Well, well, well. You... must be Magic," Deena said with a warm smile as she stepped up to greet Effie's daughter for the first time ever. Effie and Curtis had made a beautiful child, and she couldn't deny it if she wanted to. "I'm—," Magic cut her off, "Deena. And you're Lorell and you're Michelle. I have all of your records. And I've seen you on Mister Soullll," Magic said as she cut a little two step, causing the girls to fall into giggle.

"Your mother lets you play our records?" Lorell asked and Magic nodded. "Yep. She only makes me turn it off after the second or third time."
"Well I'm flattered. It's really great to finally meet you, Magic," Deena charmed, pulling the little girl into a hug.

"Y'all know y'all killed it in there, right? Blew those people away," C.C. spoke up, chewing gum, as he wrapped his arm around Michelle's waist. "Yes, you ladies sounded as beautiful as you all look," Marty tipped his hat to the group as they began to make their way to the other end of the carpet slowly. "Well, no small thanks to Effie. Those people went crazy before you even started singin'," Deena threw out a compliment with a small smile.

"Well you know I do what I can honey," Effie laughed while knocking imaginary dust off her shoulders. "It felt so good singin' on a big stage again. Especially with my girls," Effie said as she squeezed Lorell's hand to pull her back into the conversation.

"So this is really it, huh? The end of the road?" C.C. asked as they reached the end of the red carpet and Deena's limousine driver stood next to the open door. "I never thought it would end like this," he finished.

"Well it has to end like this. We have to burn the bridge between us and Curtis, we just have to. Or what? Let him drag us down like he dragged down my Jimmy? I ain't goin' out like that. I'll be damned if I earn his lyin' greedy manipulative ass another silver dime," Lorrell responded, snatching her fur shaw together. "I'm outta here," Lorell went to walk away, leaving everyone she was standing there talking to stunned. "I'll make sure she gets to her ride safely," Marty started, "Again, awesome night tonight ladies. Let's keep in touch. All good things must come to an end kid," Marty said as he patted C.C. on the shoulder before leaving to catch up with Lorell.