Episode 18: Connaughty or Weiss (Season 4 Finale)

(Start in MAX's room. MAX is wearing a suit underneath an unzipped purple graduation gown. A purple mortarboard sits crooked on top of his head. DEBBIE and WILL sit on the bed.)

Max-Lemme get this straight: I have to wear the suit underneath the gown?

Debbie-Yeah. It's tradition to wear something nice to your own high school graduation.

Max-Isn't the gown nice enough?

Debbie-I don't make the rules, Maxie.

Max-It's gonna be so hot!

Debbie-We are in Colorado. How hot do you expect it to get?

Will-Yeah. At least you're not in Texas. Just think, in an alternate universe, I'm going to be sweating my guts out at my graduation two years from now.

Max-I get it. I've got it so nice.

Debbie-Yes, you do. This is graduation day! This is the day you've been studying 12 years for!

Will-Yep. Just to get a piece of paper and a handshake.

Debbie-(whispering) Not helping. (out loud) Now, get that gown zipped and that hat straightened out. Mom and Dad are waiting for us!

(She and WILL leave. MAX zips up his gown and runs out after them. Opening theme. Cut to the living room. WILL, DEBBIE, and MAX run down the stairs. GREG and HADLEY are waiting for them.)

Hadley-There you are, Maxie!

(She and GREG scoop him up in a hug.)

Hadley-I can't believe my little boy is actually graduating high school!

Max-Mom, I'm not a little boy anymore.

Hadley-Oh, that's what they all say!

(She and GREG let go.)

Greg-I can hardly imagine what it'll be like without you around.

Max-Relax. You're still gonna have me for the summer, and I'm going to CSU, so I'll still be in town.

Hadley-Yeah, but it won't be the same.

Greg-Hey, at least you're not going to Virginia or somewhere like that.

(Fade to AMIE's mom's car. AMIE's sitting in the backseat holding her acceptance letter from Virginia Commonwealth University. Her mom, LANA, is driving.)

Lana-You're being awfully quiet, Amie. You got pre-graduation jitters?

(A pause.)

Amie-Yeah. I mean, I'm going all the way to Virginia, and everyone else is staying in-state.

Lana-I get how you feel. It's more common for people to go to college in their home state than to leave. You're doing a very brave thing, Amie.

Amie-I know. It's just...what about Max?

Lana-Max? I haven't heard that name in months. What's got you talking about him?