𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

_____

Grimmauld Place

_____

HERMIONE hadn't been expecting a party being thrown for her when she arrived to Grimmauld Place.

 She was leaving in a few days for Prague with Draco, and so she decided to say her goodbyes to Ginny and Harry today, but she hadn't known she wasn't the only guest the couple had invited over.

"Hermione, hey." Ginny greeted as she hugged her friend, stepping aside to allow Hermione to enter.

"Gin," she'd said, following the redhead further into the house. Anticipating a quiet lunch with her oldest friends. "How are you feeling?"

"A bit peckish, to be honest." Ginny answered, truthfully. Leading Hermione through the hallway, "but also sad, because this is our last day together. I'm trying not to think about it too much; the pregnancy hormones will react, awfully, if I do."

"Yeah." She'd been conscious of that. Leaving Ginny when she was about to pop a baby out of her wasn't the most ideal situation, it made her feel terrible that she couldn't be there for her friend in that way. Especially, given the fact that's she's a healer.

"But I plan on making the most of the day," the redhead went on, coming to a halt outside the kitchen door, hesitating before opening it. She closed her hand around the handle, peering over her shoulder at her friend before shoving it forward.

"Surprise!" People had shouted.

Hermione stepped more into the room, her palms flattening over her chest as her heart soared beneath the flesh, within its cage. A grin bewitched her lips as she soaked in the atmosphere.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed, "I'm so surprised. Wow." She couldn't help but giggle. "I really wasn't expecting this. Thank you."

Ginny whirled around and gave Hermione another hug. This one for a moment longer, then she glanced around. Harry had approached them, belting his arms around her as well.

"I'm really going to miss you, Hermione." He said to her, "it'll be strange not having you nearby."

"Yeah," Hermione acknowledged, but added on, "but you and Gin are about to be parents. So, me moving away is just making room for another person in your lives."

Harry smiled, sweetly, "if you ever find yourself back in Britain, you're always welcome to stay with us. Our little menace will love you."

"I'm just sorry I can't be here when they're born." She spoke to him with nothing but honesty. She did really want that, but she'd adore that baby even from miles away, even before meeting them. "But I'll be bringing over presents when I visit. And don't forget to write."

"Of course not. And when the baby learns, you'll be the first to receive."

Hermione laughed, "I'm glad."

It was true. Life wouldn't be the same for Hermione without Harry and Ginny. Far from it. But she was about to work at her dream job, and that will keep her busy. She couldn't wait until they're able to visit her.

She would have another word with them later, more privately, but for now, she needed to speak with everyone else. Who had put in the effort to come to this surprise party.

She took a quick glimpse around the room, her eyes catching on to Neville and Dean chatting by the plates of cookies Ginny had set up. She began to make her way over to join them.