Chapter 27

Almost as if there were doors locked in my head, –and the locks being the only way stopping me from seeing past memories– a few of them unlocked/broke when my head connected with the ground. The hazy film that had once been over all of them, had dissipated in some areas, and although many of the memories were still gone, I had gotten a few of them back,... and that was enough.

I remembered having a sister, a younger sister... Sara.

Zack's concerned face slowly floated into view along with Willow and Matteo's anxious voices. I could feel his fingers gently touching the tender part of my scalp where I had hit it on the "cushioning" pad underneath me.

I sat up slowly and waved his hand away. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Really, I am."

Zack chewed worryingly on his bottom lip as he cupped my face with his two hands and inspected me.

"Are you sure?" he asked, turning my head to the side and moving his thumbs every which way along my skin, checking for injuries.

I nodded my head. "Yes, I'm fine."

He didn't look like he believed me but he let go and turned his attention to the door to see Alex entering. Zack glanced at me once more before standing up and gesturing with one of his hands for Alex to come over.

Alex's eyes landed on me for the briefest of moments before he rolled his eyes skyward and did as Zack beckoned.

"What do you want?" Alex asked, crossing his arms over his chest while his group of teens halted behind him.

My eyes roamed over each of the confused teens' faces until coming to Wyatt's worried expression. He looked up at the rope and then back down at me and his eyes widened as he realized what had happened.

"Can you watch my teens for a few minutes?" Zack asked. "Something happened and I'll be out for a quick second."

Alex rolled his eyes again. "Alright, whatever."

Zack looked like he wanted to snap something at Alex for his attitude but he quickly turned away and came back to my side again. He bent down and wrapped his arm around my waist, easily picking me up. My head spun at the sudden movement and I immediately let out a loud groan as my hand snapped to the side of my head to hopefully stop the pounding headache.

Zack muttered a quick apology into my ear and guided/carried me out of the training room, Willow, Matteo, and the rest of the teens all watching us with slight concern as we opened the door and left the room.

I had expected Zack to make the turn to the left and to where my room was, but instead, he turned to the right and towards the staircase.

"Where are we going?" I asked, dropping my hand away from my head as the headache went from a slamming pain to a dull throb.

Zack looked down at me for a split second before opening the door to the stairwell. "I thought you would want some time alone without having all your friends making your headache ten times worse than it already is. I also have the freezer in my room with a couple ice packs that you can use."

I nodded my head, immediately regretting it as a grimace made its way onto my face and we climbed the steps, coming to floor number five where we had hung out the day before. After opening the door, we walked down a few hallways, passing door after door until coming to one at the very end of one of the hallways.

Zack tapped something on his watch before pressing the face of it against the pad over the doorknob and then with a click, the door unlocked and he opened it. Zack led me over to the large bed as the door closed behind us and I sat down on the edge, Zack sitting down next to me.