chapter thirty one

It was a long walk home. Adri and Pearl had left the market without him, anxious to get ready for the ball, which had been a relief to Dream at first, but after the first mile of walking with his make-shift crutches digging into his underarms and messenger bag banging against his hip, he was cursing his stepmother with each limping step.

Not that Dream was in any big hurry to get home. He  couldn't imagine what preparations he could assist Pearl with, but he didn't doubt they would be designed to torture him. One more evening of servitude. One more evening.

The words propelled him on.

When he finally reached the apartment, he found the hallways eerily quiet. Everyone was either down at the festival or getting ready for the ball. The shouts that could normally be heard behind closed doors had been swapped for girlish laughter.

Dream tucked the crutches beneath his sore arms and used the wall to guide him to the door.

The apartment seemed empty as he entered it, but he could hear the floors creaking as Adri and Pearl moved around their bedrooms toward the back. Hoping he might be able to make it through the whole evening without seeing either of them, Dream hobbled to his small room and closed the door behind him. He had just thought to start packing in earnest when someone knocked at the door.

Sighing, he opened it. Pearl was in the hallway, wearing her golden gown, all silk and seeded pearls and a neckline that plunged just how Adri had requested.

"Could you have come home any slower?" she said. "We'll be leaving as soon as the coronation is over."

"Well, I'm sure I could have come home faster, except someone stole my foot."

Pearl glared briefly, then stepped back into the hallway and did a half spin, letting the skirt billow around her ankles. "What do you think, Dream? Will the prince notice me in this?"

Dream barely restrained the urge to slime his own filthy hands over the dress. Instead, he peeled off his work gloves and tucked them into his back pocket. "Is there something you needed?"

"Yes, actually. I want to ask your opinion." Pearl hitched up her skirt to reveal mismatched shoes on her tiny feet. On her left foot was a small velvet boot the color of fresh milk that laced up her ankle. On her right foot was a gold sandal tied with sparkling ribbons and tiny heart shaped charms. "Given that you're so close to the prince, I thought I would ask if you think he would prefer the gold slippers or the white?"

Dream pretended to think. "The boots make your ankles look fat."

Pearl smirked. "The metal plating makes your ankle look fat. You're just jealous I actually have both feet." She sighed in mock sympathy. "What a shame you'll never know the pleasure."

"I'm just glad you found at least one body part that's lovely."

Pearl tossed her hair, a smug grin on her face. She knew that Dream's jest had no grounding, and Dream was irritated when the low insult brought him no pleasure.

"I've been rehearsing my conversation with Prince George," said Pearl. "Of course, I intend to tell him everything." She swayed so her skirt caught the light. "First, I'm going to tell him all about your ugly metal extremities and how much of an embarrassment you are- what a disgusting creature they turned you into. And I'm going to make sure he also realizes how much more desirable I am."

Dream leaned against the door frame. "I wish I would have known about this little crush of yours earlier, Pearl. You know, before she passed away, I was able to obtain a promise from His Highness that he would dance with Drista tonight. I could have asked the same for you, but I guess it's too late for that now. Shame."