CHAPTER EIGHTEEN,

RAVAGED HEARTS | CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

NOW,

  THE CARRIAGE MADE its way hazardously down the unpaved road, the stones and sticks on the ground causing it to bump up and down, tossing the people inside along with it. Io gritted her teeth on the fourth time she'd almost been thrown into Louis' lap. Her hands wrapped tightly around the window of the panel door, the curtain tickling her hand. But she didn't let go, goddamnit, because damn if she was to be dumped into a position like that. The Enrique Zevallos twins might not see anything wrong with it, but Constanza would be on her ass again—her friend already despised the fact that she had been working so closely with Louis for the past few days. No need to do anything that would irritate Constanza Castrillo even more. Most especially considering the fact they'd be stuck together on this mission for a few days in some relatively remote, abandoned small town with nowhere to escape to.

  Just tragic.

  But it was for a good cause, so Io could handle a bit of nagging on Constanza's part and Louis' hopeful stares. Every time she caught him, all she could think was: oh, how the tables have turned.

  If she'd once been the one staring hopelessly, hoping he could be hers, it was the exact opposite now.

  She ignored him, because he could use some suffering, really. She'd had to live with what he was going through right now but even worse for years. He'd been going through it for what, a month?

  Yes, he could remain right where he was.

  Constanza wrinkled her nose. "Remind me to tell the transportation department to get this area cleared up."

  Anita replied, "Don't know if we have the budget to spare for it."

  Io remained silent, trying her best to be invisible. As the only non-Vayantean agent here, she was in a rather awkward situation.

  Louis said, "And that's for the treasury to worry about us, not us intelligence operatives. We have enough to worry about enough, no need to add more to the workload, you know."

  The carriage fell back into silence. Io let her head lean against the panel. She asked, "How much longer?"

  It was their second day on the carriage. They should be approaching Saria any time now. 

  Celinos frowned. "We've been travelling a bit slower than expected. I'd give it two more hours before we reach Saria, really. You could all get some extra sleep if you want to, we might not be getting any once we arrive. We'll have to scout the place out immediately." The Vayanteans hadn't been keeping tabs on Saria, and neither had the Saians. It was one of those places you completely glossed over on every map even though it was always there.

  "Two hours," Io groaned, shaking her head and rubbing her forehead. "I'll sleep, damnit, wake me when we're there."

  Constanza nodded beside her. "I'll do the same."

  Louis looked out the window, pushing the curtains aside slightly. Io dropped her hand back on her lap. He didn't seem to notice, whistling out a quick tune. Soon, two birds landed on the window frame. They all watched, equal part fascinated and equal part amused, as Louis started whistling to them and they sang back. A moment later, both birds flew off. Constanza raised a brow.

  "They'll watch out for us," Louis said. "I'm tired too."

  Celinos stated, "I'll still stay awake, just in case." Turning to his sister, he said, "Hermana, puedes dormir si quieres."