Chapter 7 - Battle Ready

The three categories are known as shifter classes. Children are born without any distinct class traits and with no ability to shift into an animal form. During puberty, around the ages of 8–16, a child unlocks access to their magic, giving them the ability to shift and their aura the distinct signature of their class.

 During puberty, around the ages of 8–16, a child unlocks access to their magic, giving them the ability to shift and their aura the distinct signature of their class

Briar

"We could leave her in the car and go get everything in the house." Nick's voice was the first thing I heard when I woke up with my head drooped down against the car door. I didn't move, despite the crick in my neck, wanting to eavesdrop on them a little longer.

"It's no' safe. They could easily creep up on her. Plenty of alphas with abilities tae incapacitate a sleeping woman. An' we don't know who or what this Sid is."

"I don't want to wake her up."

"I'm awake," I mumbled.

"Hey carina, we're a few streets away from your house," Nick crooned. "Alasdair got us bulletproof vests and weapons, but I still think you should let us go in and get anything you want."

Nick was pretty, but he was clearly lacking in the brains department. What was it Selena, a pretty omega woman from Munich, had called men like that? Himbos?

Nick was a himbo.

There was no way I was staying. I was the strongest one here; I didn't need men protecting me. "My name's Briar, not Carina," I grumbled, "and I'm coming. I have to get to Sid."

"Your leg isn't healed yet," Nick tried.

I looked at Alasdair, hoping he'd back me up, but he didn't say anything, leaving me to humour Nick with some reassurance. "I won't notice it once I get some blood in me."

"Would drinking from us weaken us?" Alasdair asked, finally contributing.

Okay, that wasn't fair of me. Alasdair had gone to get us weapons while I'd slept, so really, he'd contributed more than I had. Nick had contributed his car and my outfit. I was the one slacking here, but we were only just getting to the part I was best at—fighting and killing.

"I only need a tiny amount, and it wouldn't affect your magic." Taking more gave me greater control over the ability and made it last longer, but I was hoping this would be over quickly. In and out. Sid in my arms and us riding off into the sunset together.

"Would my blood help?" Froggy asked in his cheery voice.

I was really starting to see the appeal of having a beta. He was so eager to help all the time—now that he wasn't chasing me for blood samples and whatever else, anyway.

I nodded. "Beta blood doesn't hold abilities, but it gives me extra strength."

Froggy shoved his wrist towards me. "Take as much as you need."