Chapter 11 - Vision

The first alphas were not exceptional. They had the lifespan of regular humans, a slightly bigger build, and more innate strength than other shifters. What set them apart the most was their ability to lead and influence others. Other shifters began to recount incidents of feeling influenced to do something at the behest of another, their will taken away with only a few words. This came to be known as an alpha-command.

 This came to be known as an alpha-command

Alasdair

I didn't trust this new alpha. He didn't act like an alpha, all open smiles, and a fucking teddy bear that he kept reaching down to touch like he needed the reminder it was still there. It was a terrible representation of a bear; he should have got a stuffed wolf instead. It could have been a prop to get the girls. Not all women wanted tough men, but he didn't need to keep the act up around us.

Nick took the passenger side before anyone could protest, and Jace slid into the driver's seat. This left me in the back with Shadow, who stopped touching the bear long enough to open his backpack. The thing was pastel blue and covered in drawings of smiley-faced clouds. It would be cute for a ten-year-old girl. The contents were more reassuring at least, and he started strapping knives to his thighs.

Part-way through doing up a buckle his eyes glazed over, and he stared off into the distance. He jerked his head to the side in another bizarre display, before his demeanour completely changed. He snarled and let out a low growl as he finished the buckle. Nick's beta glanced back at him nervously, feeling the change of attitude.

"What do you have to do with Briar?" he demanded with cold eyes, no longer smiling. "Why are you trying to save her?"

"Because she needs saving," Nick snapped. "Have you not been fucking listening?"

"Do you think you'll get something for playing the hero?"

"I only want Briar to be safe. I was there while she was throwing up, barely able to move. I took care of her while you were off having fucking picnics with God knows how many women."

I tuned out their arguing about who actually cared about Briar. It was like babysitting toddlers as they fought over a toy.

I found my phone and looked into both Briar and Shadow. The more I read, the more likely it seemed that they did work together often. They were both supposedly French, though Briar sounded like she could have been born in England. Shadow had a subtle French accent when he wasn't growling his words. He also obviously knew who Sid was. If Briar had access to his blood, she'd be able to use his ability, which explained her willingness to run into a situation without a plan. She was used to being the most powerful person and able to teleport at will.

Her overseas fan pages thought it was laughable that a king was trying to catch her, while the German pages remained oddly quiet.

I was watching a fan-made video that contained rare footage of them together when Nick demanded his beta pull over. It saved me from the cringey heart transitions between clips, but we didn't have time for whatever Nick wanted to do.