Chapter Four

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

It was eight o'clock when the Shelby family found themselves gathered around in the betting shop. Finn being the only one missing, having been left in the kitchen where he kept an ear to the door, always curious as to what his family got up to. Arthur's hard eyes scanned over the room as Polly and John both made their way inside, locking the door up behind them.

"Right, I've called this family meeting because I've got some very important news." Arthur called for everyone's attention as he stood at the end of the table. "Scudboat and Lovelock got back from Belfast last night. They were buying a stallion to cover their mares. They were in a pub on the Shankhill Road yesterday and in that pub there was a copper, handing out these."

"'If you're over five feet and can fight, come to Birmingham.'" John read the flyer aloud, his brows drawing together at the words.

"They're recruiting Protestant Irishmen to come over here as Specials," Arthur clarified for everyone.

"To do what?" Ada questioned.

"To clean up the city, Ada," Tommy spoke up from where he was leaning against the wall. "He's a chief inspector. The last four years he's been clearing the IRA out of Belfast."

"How do you know so bloody much?" Arthur frowned at his younger brother's knowledge on the matter.

"'Cause I asked the coppers on our payroll," Tommy spoke as though it were obvious.

"And why didn't you tell me?" Arthur pressed.

"I'm telling you," Tommy countered.

"So why are they sending him to Birmingham?" Polly asked the obvious question.

"There's been all these bloody strikes at the BSA, and the Austin works lately," Tommy reminded his family. "Now the papers are talking about sedition. And revolution. I reckon it's communists he's after."

"So this copper is gonna leave us alone, right?" Polly clarified.

"There are Irishmen in Green Lanes who left Belfast to get away from him. They say Catholic men who crossed him used to disappear in the night," Tommy offered.

"Yeah, but we ain't IRA. We bloody fought for the king," John pointed out. "Anyway, we're Peaky Blinders. We're not scared of coppers. If they come for us, we'll cut them a smile each."

"He's right," Arthur agreed.

"So, Arthur, is that it?" Tommy looked to his older brother with raised brows.

"What do you think, Aunt Pol?" Arthur looked to the family's matriarch for advice.

"This family does everything open," Polly noted before shifting her gaze to the icy eyed Shelby. "You have nothing more to say to this meeting, Thomas?"