CHAPTER 11: HOPE

The door to the classroom opens, Julie backs into a corner.

Her heart returns to a normal pace as she realizes, the figure staring at her is Gunner.

"So, you came back." She relaxed. A large, full trash bag is thrown to her feet, she flinched only slightly.

"We're getting out of here." Gunner crossed his arms, his tongue slipped out for a moment. Almost like he was catching a fly. Attached to his hip was his laser pistol.

"Is my son here?" She threw on her shirt, pants, red backpack, and cocked her shotgun which had been laid before her in the black bag.

Gunner nodded and removed his laser pistol, the pistol produced an electronic hum, its little wires, and laser beam whirred to life.

Opening the door, Gunner pointed his weapon to the right, then left.

As Julie and Gunner patrolled the large hallway, they began to break open classroom doors. Releasing hundreds of humans of all ages.

He heard one of his own kind yell in Barg, carrying a machine gun. It stood a few feet from Gunner, about to release rapid-fire laser blasts.

Humans did get shot. Others were piling haphazardly towards the two marked exits which were at both ends of the hall. They stayed far away from the gunfire of Julie and her partner.

Gunner shot a blast through a Bargs' eye, the guard fell with a loud thud and a high-pitched squeal which made Gunner shiver ever so slightly.

Thick, black blood seeped onto the white marble floor of the hallway as more Barg were shot.

An alarm blared throughout the building, an ear-piercing sound. The alarm was typically used as a fire alarm, but in this instance, it had been re-worked as a security alarm. Red alarms adorned the walls, flashing blue, strobing light.

Barg ran up to Julie and Gunner who walked side by side, respective weapons out and ready to fire.

Humans were now running from the school building, crying of both happiness and utter despair.

Julie couldn't join them. She wasn't leaving without her David.

"I know where David is, get him out. Room 130-upstairs." Yelled Gunner, firing laser blasts at guards. They fell with yells, blood splattered the walls and floor as they walked.

Julie fired her shotgun at a Barg right in front of her, his chest cavity was blown to pieces, juices from the aliens' insides hit Julie's face.

At the end of the hall, Gunner kicked down a wooden door that led to the second floor of the school. The floor where David was captive.

The alarm blared still as Julie made her way up the staircase, she fired her gun into another Barg, part of his lizard head exploded with a disgusting squish of brain and bone.

With the alarm as loud as it was, Gunner failed to hear boots on the floor. He did however feel two huge arms wrap around him.

Gunner yelped, Julie cocked her weapon and turned to face her partner at the top of the stairs, looking down at Gunner struggling in the grasp of his father. The two moved at such an incredible speed, striking Gunner with a bullet was all too possible.

Taurus tossed Gunner down the stairs, ignoring Julie.

Gunner's arms and legs flailed. His pistol flew down to the bottom of the stairs.

Julie fired a shot into Taurus' shoulder, blood did pop from him-but he didn't fall.

"Go without me!" Gunner yelled before being kicked, attempting to stand up.