The Sea

The summer breeze kisses her face as she lies on the grass. The sun's reflections give the plants a golden glow. Monique stares at the sky for a while longer, before sitting up. She's dressed in white and her red mane runs down her back. She turns to face the boy beside her, dressed in jeans and a plaid long-sleeved shirt. She asks, "Am I dead?"

He smiles and shakes his head. "No. You don't give up that easily."

"Am I In-Between?"

"No. It doesn't exist. You're in your subconscious," he explains.

"Huh?"

"You'll soon wake up, Monique. You'll forget about me and about everything that happened."

Monique shakes her head. "I don't want to forget." Her voice trembles. Tears threaten to fall.

"You have to, Monique. You have to forget."

"But I need you," She whispers. "I really do, Jimmy."

Jimmy smiles bitterly and shifts closer towards her. He carefully runs his hand across her cheek. Monique takes in his features one last time. His blonde hair and those sea green eyes she fell in love with. He leans closer and kisses her one last time.

This time, she feels it.

She feels the softness of his lips against hers. But there's something more. Something hard to put onto words on paper; she feels his love. The smell of mint fills her nostrils.

He touches her face one more time. "I love you, Monique. I always will. I'll always be here, watching you."

"I don't want you to leave." Tears stream down her face like rain falling from the heavenly skies.

John wipes them away and says, "I'll always be here. I won't be gone. I'll be right here, waiting for you." And with one final kiss, he fades away.

Monique opens her eyes. She's at the park again. Dopey barks at her whilst wagging its tail. Her mummy lies on the grass with a Pepsi-Cola by her side and a cigarette in her mouth.

A blue car drives past and she sees a small boy with blonde hair staring at her through the window. Monique smiles, waves at him, and continues playing with Dopey.