》five《

song: line without a hook by rick montgomery

════════ ◈ ════════

The words sounded almost like another language to her.

Hands starting to pool with sweat and mouth going dry, Elsie blurted out the answer anyone else would,

"That's impossible!"

"Ah, prinţesă, is it?"

"No, no, you don't understand- I have a boyfriend."

Pietro's smile faded and his eyes dropped to the ground once more, looking anywhere but her own,

"I know. I've been here waiting for you almost three years. I had to watch you both fall in love with each other..."

His voice trailed off, a long silence following.

In some aspects, Elsie felt bad for him. Pietro had died, came to this place, got told he had a soulmate, watched what he believed was his soulmate meet and date the love of her life and then deal with all this now.

But, on the other hand, what did he expect?

Was she supposed to turn around and say 'Forget my commited relationship. If you tell me you're my soulmate, what else matters?'

"You guys were very happy-"

Pietro met her gaze once again, watery-eyes meeting her own lachrymose ones,

"-I'm sorry."

Elsie had no idea what came over her. Hearing his soft voice cracking seemed to break off apart of her heart and tear it to shreds.

She lunged forward, holding him in a tight embrace as her tears dripped onto his shoulder.

Pietro placed his hands on Elsie's lower back and hip to protect her from falling off him while pulling her close simultaneously.

════════ ◈ ════════

"Will we ever get out of here, Piet?"

Hearing his younger sister's pain all but killed the speedster. He wish he could've been able to say something wholeheartedly, that even himself could believe. Maybe it would help if he could at least see her - but the thick, begrimed walls prevented even that.

"I'd say so, Wanda."

"Where would you go? When we leave?"

"Somewhere far out. A countryside, for sure. Scotland, maybe?"

"I'd go to a city. A big one."

The enthusiasm in her voice filled Pietro with enough hope to convince himself he'd be able to get them both through this,

"Why's that?"

"I don't know... somethings about the capitals just fascinate me. I'd hate to be on my own somewhere with no opportunities; I want to be near civilisation,"