Chapter 19 - Even More Trouble

"Can I stay with you guys?" her voice is worn and quiet, as if she has been crying. Her pink and blotchy face looks out of place in the gloomy crypt - too much life.

It had been four days since the embarrassing incident at Buffy's house. Amber had been avoiding them all for obvious reasons. 

"Dawn." It's a statement, not a question, even though Amber has plenty racing through her mind. Spike gets up from his armchair. He gently takes the open, messily packed bag out of Dawn's shaking hand and lays it on the armchair. Rays of deadly sunlight creep into the place until Dawn clicks the door shut behind her. She walks slowly towards Amber, enveloping her in a hug.

"Dawn," she repeats, softly stroking her hair. Spike wears a look of concern as Dawn starts sobbing uncontrollably.

"Dawnie, tell me what happened." Amber asks quietly.

"You bloody well know what happened, Amber. She found out."

"I'm. Not. Real." she gasps between sobs. Amber's heart breaks in two as she watches the teenager break down in her embrace. They sink to the floor, still clutching one another.

Spike breaks the sad silence, "I'll put the kettle on."

-------------------

They try their best to console her, they really do. They reassure her that she is real, that being 'a key' doesn't make her any less of a person. Dawn has settled a bit more now, curled up on the couch, clutching a comforting mug of hot chocolate. Dawn had overheard a conversation between Giles, Joyce and Buffy. 

"Does your sister know you're here?" Spike asks calmly.

"No."

"Do you want us to tell her?"

Dawn sniffs. She shakes her head. Amber knows Buffy will come looking for her soon anyhow.  

The tv screen flickers with a colourful cartoon, but nobody is watching. Dawn knows she's the key. Everyone else knows she's the key. It's only a matter of time until Glory uncovers the truth.
"I know what we can do." Amber smiles, rummaging in a draw.
"UNO?" Dawn asks, "I've never played that before..."
"Well, the rules are simple..."

----------------------

Amber lets Dawn win the first round, but when Spike joins in for the second, her competitive streak takes over and she thrashes them both.

"How the bloody hell did you have two pick-up-fours?"

Dawn and Amber exchange glances and burst out laughing. Amber was so glad Dawn was more-or-less back to normal.

"Dawn," she says gently, "I get it if you don't wanna talk, but can you tell us what they said?"

Dawn's face doesn't show a reaction at first, until her eyes soften. "Yeah. I - I can. Urm. They were saying that Glory wants to go back home to her hell dimension. She was banished to here and the only way for her to get back is by performing a ritual with 'the key'. That - That's me. It won't just send her home though. A portal with open, allowing worlds to 'bleed into each other'. Well, that's what Giles said."

"That's not good." Congrats on the understatement of the year, Spike. 

"Also," Dawn says with a grin, "Buffy told me about you too. Ya know, you two together. I think you suit each other well."

"Thanks, Dawnie." 

"I agree with you, Niblet." Spike nods, smiling at Amber. 

---------------------

It's pretty clear that Glorificus favours the colour red. She thinks her silky scarlet dress and ruby lipstick make her look sophisticated. She has to let people know she's powerful somehow.

"Your Graciousness, we have exciting news on the key!" One of her pimpled minions approaches her nervously. "We have received telling news, oh Great One."

"Really?"

"The key is in human form. The key has been transformed into the Slayer's sister. A mere mortal girl that will be easy to kill."

Glory cackles in delight. "Finally! How do you know all this?"

The minion replies, his slash of a smile beaming proudly, "The slayer shouldn't talk so openly when her windows are open."

"It was as easy as that!" Glory is ecstatic. "I feel so... buzzed! Well, how long until we can get me home?"

"Tomorrow at sunset, Your Scrumptiousness."

"Great! Oh, this is going to be fun!"