4: Spider-Man is-

Date: May 8, 2024
Words: 2053

XX

"The next clip is about Peter Parker," Doctor Strange begins calmly, "It is the start of a series of clips we will be watching. These clips focus on Mr. Parker and what causes him to lose what he loves most."

Peter avoids everyone's narrowing gaze, sinking lower into his seat, while his heart beats wildly in his chest. It was his choice. To make everyone forget him. And he would do it again in a heart beat as long as it meant everyone he cared about was alright. But that doesn't make the people looking right through him any easier. They don't remember him. They're safer that way.

"What does he mean, kid?" Tony asks.

"I messed up really bad, Mr. Stark," Peter begins slowly, closing his eyes to hide his red-trimmed chocolate orbs. The memories flash within his mind. He mumbles, "I'm sure the clips will explain everything."

They turn their attention to the screen as it flashes on. A news reporter, Pat Kieman exclaims, "We come to you now with revelations about last week's attack in London. An Anonymous source provided this video. It shows Quentin Beck, a.k.a. Mysterio, moments before his death. A warning — you may find this video disturbing."

Peter swallows, the blood draining from his face, while his hands tightly grasp a hold of the arm rest beside him. His lungs are screaming for air, his heart is pounding in his chest, and his mind runs into overdrive. They can't watch this — he doesn't want to watch this.

Tony frowns, glancing down at the young man beside him. "What's wrong?"

Peter shakes his head, chocolate orbs overflowing with unshredded tears. "I don't want to watch this."

The screen changes to some kind of recording. Quentin Beck appears, "I managed to send the Elemental back through the rift, but I don't think I'm gonna make it out of this bridge alive." The man swallows, glancing back towards something the camera misses. "Spider-Man attacked me for some reason. He has an army of weaponized drones - Stark Technology. He's saying he's the only one who's gonna be the new Iron Man. No one else."

Peter clenches his jaw, his fingers tightening into a fist. "I never said that."

The video on the screen changes, showing Peter and Beck on a bridge. E.D.I.T.H."s voice-over begins, "Are you sure you want to commence the drone attack? There will be significant casualties."

"Do it!" Peter snaps quickly. "Execute them all!"

Drones fire in the background.

Everyone glances at Peter in shock — but he doesn't spare them a glance. His senses are going crazy, the tingling beneath his skin vibrating throughout his entire body, while his eyes close in a weak attempt at blocking out everyone else. He's not used to everybody looking at him when no one in the world even remembers him.

Tony frowns, shifting closer to the teen by instinct. And he notices the visible shaking of Peter's hands. The billionaire gently reaches forward — giving Peter the chance to notice Tony moving in around him — before he places an arm around his shoulder. Before turning his attention to glare at all the staring faces.

The screen changes back to Pat Kiernan. "This shocking video was released earlier today on the controversial news website TheDailyBugle.net."

J. Jonah Jameson appears on the screen. "There you have it, folks, conclusive proof that Spider-Man was responsible for the brutal murder of Mysterio, an interdimensional warrior who gave his life to protect our planet, and who will no doubt go down in history as the greatest superhero of all time. But that's not all, folks. Here's the real blockbuster. Brace yourselves, you might wanna sit down."