C H A P T E R 3 0

— • —

Chapter 30

Another morning came. The gentle wind from the autumn season has started to become cold, a sign that the winter season is coming. From the sound of the water gently streaming and little birds chirping in the trees, Shao Ling slowly woke up. His long eyelashes fluttered gently as he slowly opened his eyes. He noticed that he was lying on a thick but soft blanket. Shao Ling was about to wake up when he heard the rustling sound of a piece of fabric on top of him. It was a Yun Sect robe that was protecting him from the cold. Lian Ren must've covered him with his robe because of the cold.

Shao Ling sat properly and positioned his arms on top of his knees in a meditative position as he slowly closed his eyes, feeling his spiritual energy inside of him. For some reason, Shao Ling felt that he had already healed, as if the hot fever that he experienced often faded in an instant, as if it were not there in the first place. His meridians are now stable, and the flow of his spiritual energy seems smoother than usual. Shao Ling slowly stood up and went out of the house. As he pushed the wooden door open, he noticed that there was a pond not far from him that seemed fresh, so Shao Ling started to walk forward in the pond's direction.

As he scooped the water with his hand, Shao Ling splashed the water on his face and felt his face freeze from the cold that made him wide awake. Shao Ling slowly stood up, wiping his face using the hem of his robe, when he noticed a woman standing not far from his direction. The woman was holding a smoke pipe in her right hand, staring down at the pond with a straight expression and not even making a sound.

"Village Chief." Shao Ling called out to the woman and gave her a bow as a greeting. The woman, who was the village chief, was taken aback and directed her attention to Shao Ling, then gave her a warm smile. "It seems that you're awake."

"Yes," Shao Ling responded with a slight frown. "Do you know where my disciple is, Lian Ren?"

The village chief's mouth twitched a little as she answered, "Lian Ren went to the field to help my people plant seeds again because lots of crops were eaten by those monsters."

"I see." Shao Ling wanted to go there and help, but he knew that he didn't have that many skills and knowledge when it came to farming, so even if he went there, he wouldn't be able to do anything and just watch.

"You look like her." Shao Ling shifted his attention to the village chief's direction. Looking at her with a bewildered expression, he asked, "I look like who?"

"Your mother, I mean," the village chief answered.

"................"

The village chief's seductive lips curled into a smile. She took a sip from her smoke pipe and then exhaled its smoke. "I apologize, I surprised you."

"No," Shao Ling replied, "it's fine."

"Ho?" The village chief grinned even more. She took a step forward to the pond and crouched down, stretching her hand down as she let her fingertips touch the coldness of the water. After a while, the Village Chief shifted her gaze at Shao Ling and spoke, "Every person in my tribe holds a memory in this pond. This pond was gifted by the Goddess of Fertility. It can save us from illness, and its water is pure and clean. However, generation after generation, we only realized the true potential of this pond. Some say that as you sink deeper, a song of your life will be sung."