𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟑. sweet hotel california.

SWEET HOTEL CALIFORNIA.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

MAGNETS (book one)

MAGNETS (book one).
°• CHAPTER THREE •°

" SOMETIMES YOU HAVE
TO PUT YOURSELF FIRST. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DYLAN HAD ALWAYS BEEN YOUR TYPICAL CALIFORNIA GIRL. She believes that's why Clara referred to her as such, exclaiming California! as soon as she came into her line of view as if the state was her newly declared name. She didn't burn underneath any sun rays, she glowed, having never been pale a day of her life. Dylan couldn't find a spot here that felt like home, but back on the West Coast, when she was allowing the salty water of the ocean to burn her nostrils and the waves to lap against her skin, it always felt like four walls and a roof. Golden sand burned the soles of her sneakers as she ran like her life depended on it. In Hawkins, Dylan didn't feel like California, but that's what Hawkins saw her as. She only hoped she wouldn't burn long enough to swallow the small town in flames.

Shopping, swimming, and surfing, were three big S words in California. Dylan enjoyed them all and embraced the woman she was becoming. She hasn't been lucky enough to see a body of water yet, nothing could compare to the ocean anyway, and fortunately enough Hawkins seems to have a good variety of small businesses to shop at. Their local center is smack in the middle of town so it's not too difficult to find. Dylan could cry in relief. At least she didn't have to give up one thing.

Dylan hadn't bothered asking Billy for a ride. She'd rather light a match and set herself on fire before asking him for a favor. The only reason he ever gave Max and her rides to school happened to be because Neil would take his keys if he didn't - or worse. She happily grabbed her bike instead. It wasn't anything fancy, nothing like Max's skateboard or Billy's car. And Dylan, like her siblings, didn't buy it herself.

It was something Neil Hargrove was good at. Gaining his children's trust. His way of apologizing was gifting them. Giving Billy gas money, magazines, beer. Gave Dylan shopping money, running sneakers when her current ones wore out, a new walkman. It was all about power. They couldn't say they didn't owe their father or that he never did anything nice for them even the way he treated them. So although Dylan is grateful she has means of transportation that belongs to her, she's still bitter behind all that thankfulness.

She remembers what happened the last time she forgot to express how grateful she was for the U2 tape he gifted her for her seventeenth birthday.

Dylan shoves the painful memory out of her head as it tries to slice its way in. She doesn't like to think about them a lot, and apparently, neither does Neil. She mounts her bike and pedals away from the house on Maple Street before she could think twice about it. Dylan's steel rings feel a little tighter around her bruised fingers as she grips the handlebars as she recalls how they twisted when she smacked Billy just right. He also doesn't like to think about their old man.