𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟒. someone who loves you wouldn't do this.

SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU
WOULDN'T DO THIS.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

MAGNETS (book one)

MAGNETS (book one).
°• CHAPTER FOUR •°

" I FELL DOWN THE STAIRS. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

trigger warning from your local boring author: this is just a reminder that neil hargrove should be a warning himself, but because he's not, i'm here to remind you guys again that this story will contain child abuse scenes. this chapter does contain one towards the end so please skip it if it's triggering to you. <3

DYLAN HARGROVE WAS A MORNING PERSON. She couldn't help it. Her body had become so used to the schedule of waking up hours before school, just when the sun starts to glow over the sky, that moving from California to Indiana didn't change anything. The second her body could simply feel the sun's rays beaming through the curtains of hers and Max's room, her green eyes popped open, and Dylan was awake. She was as quiet as possible as she carefully hopped around the room to ensure she wouldn't wake Max. The girl was dead asleep, letting out soft snores against the pillow she buried her freckled face in, the flames of her red hair splayed around her. Dylan gathered a bundle of clean clothes and sent her younger sister a fond smile even if she couldn't see it. She supposed that Max may not ever know how much Dylan cared about her, how seeing her face was like looking at the California sun again, but it's fine. She can care from afar.

Dylan prepared the bathroom for when she would return. Her movements are swift and careful as she moved around, setting a bundle of folded, clean clothes and a towel upon the sink before grabbing a hair tie and yanking her hair into a tight ponytail. She already changed out of her pajamas into something a little tighter, but easy to move in. Dylan took a deep breath and tried to make herself seem as small as possible as she left the bathroom and carefully crept across her father and stepmother's door and then her brother's. She didn't care if she woke Billy up, he could deal with it. But she didn't want to picture what would happen if she woke up Neil.

But Dylan's been doing this for years. She's become great at it. Moving around the house without creaking a single floorboard or door quickly became a skill. She maneuvered around the kitchen to find the few things she needed. Dylan balanced a peeled banana between her teeth as she filled a bottle of water and ended up chewing it thoughtfully as she made her way outside, tossing the peel in the trash on her way out.

Dylan's neatly tied sneakers paused their movements as she stood on the porch steps. She quickly did a stretch, a slight groan leaving her lips as her back popped once her spine straightened. Once Dylan felt ready, she tugged the headphones she plugged into the walkman clipped to her hip over her ears. A tape she made herself and chose for that day was securely inside. Dylan took a deep breath and pressed play.