A Friend in Need

"Thump," "thump," "thump," Aisha awoke to the sound of someone beating on the door to her room. "Aisha, get up! Tolfdir is teaching today!" said Onmund. 

Aisha ate a small piece of moon sugar and put on her robes given to her by Mirabelle. They were made of soft linen with patches of fur, which added a nice bit of warmth in the bitter cold of Winterhold. She had placed her tail through the hole that she carved with her knife. The robes came with a small satchel which she filled with moonsugar. "Coming!"

Aisha saw the students gathering in a circle around an old man with braided hair and eyes with two different colors. 

"Welcome! You must be the new student! I have heard interesting stories about your abilities." Master Tolfdir had a warm smile, a gentile manner, and spoke to the students like a grandfather talks to their grandchildren. He reminded Aisha of her own grandfather, who would place Aisha on his lap and tell her stories of the great manes.

"I wanted to gather you here for a little demonstration of today's lesson. I want to challenge you all with a very difficult spell in magic. The telekinesis spell," said Tolfdir.

A grin appeared upon J'zargo's face, as if he knew the full implications of the spell. Tolfdir handed everyone a scroll with the spell instructions and then placed a silver chalice on the stone wall of the geyser. He walked to the opposite side of the room, telling everyone to remain at their location. 

"Now, watch me," said Tolfdir, who lifted his hand towards the chalice.

The cup slowly rose in the air, tilting towards Tolfdir. With the speed of an arrow, it rushed towards him. It stopped right in front of his hand, spinning around like a Dwemer gyroscope. He closed his hand and caught the chalice with the other. Onmund clapped slowly but ceased when no one else was joining him.

"Now, go to the other side of the room and give it a try," said Tolfdir.

The cup gently floated back towards its original placement, and Berlyna stood in front of the crowd. She placed her hand in front of her; veins on her forehead popped out as she concentrated. The cup would shift slightly towards her, but it would not fully surrender to her spell.

Finally, the cup flew right at her at full speed, barely able to stop its full momentum. The cup danced in the air, and she chuckled like a giddy child who got a new toy. J'zargo grabbed the chalice from Berlyna and placed it on the stone wall. He spread out his legs, slightly lowering his knees, and dramatically raised his hand to the cup. The chalice rushed into his hands in one fluid motion. 

"Ha ha! J'zargo is the best!" shouted J'zargo.

"Very impressive! You are a natural," said Tolfdir.

Dammit, Aisha didn't want him to get it that easy. Now he will never shut up. Onmund bumbled in front of the crowd and sheepishly raised his hand towards the chalice. It didn't budge for such a long time that Onmund had to rest his right arm. When he tried again with the left arm, the cup budged a little. He decided to emulate J'zargo, and he spread his feet out in the hope the position of his feet would make the spell work better. Nothing. He took a few deep breaths and called upon Julianos to provide him the wisdom to cast. Onmund raised his left hand. The cup shot towards him, but he failed to halt its momentum, and it smacked him right in the middle of his face.

He fell backwards to the sound of the students' laughter. His cheeks flushed as bright red as a tomato, but J'zargo and Aisha helped him get on his feet. 

"Your perseverance is admirable, Onmund, but be mindful of the objects around you, especially ones which are the target of spells. Well, last but certainly not least. Aisha, my dear, give it a shot," said Tolfdir.