vi. project

SCIENCE EXPERIMENT

"AHHHH! (NAME) I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREVER!" Sasha yells, running into the science class and slamming her fists onto the table.

"I MISSED YOU SO MUCH SASHA!" I fake cry, throwing my arms around her.

"Hey!" Hange walks in, placing their things on the chair beside mine. "Where my hug? I missed you all too!" Hange wrapped their arms around both me and Sasha.

"Okay class, time to settle down." Mr. Jeager says, walking into the class.

"What do you mean?" Sasha started. "Don't you share a dorm with (Name)?"

"Yeah," Hange started. "But the past few hours have just felt like forever!"

"I would like to spend the beginning of class going over your projects."

"No!" Sasha pouts, throwing half of her body over the table. She almost looked like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

"Don't worry, I know that it is sudden but I decided that this would be a group project in hopes that the work would be a bit easier for all of you to carry. Ill just be paring you with your table partners."

"Oh," Sasha leaned back in her chair. "That's not so bad."

"I will be assigning a separate subject for each table. All subjects will relate to one main topic; the biology of titans."

The room started to get louder again as Mr. Jeager went around the room, assigning each subject with all of the different groups.

I looked over to my side, noticing that Hange was starting to squirm in their seat.

"Need the toilet?"

"No, oh no no no." Hange shakes their head. "I'm just so excited. Titans are so fascinating, don't you think?"

"I guess they're cool," Sasha starts, "But didn't they kill like.... a lot of people?"

"Oh, no. I completely understand that part, I'm talking about their biology. How they didn't reproduce with reproductive organs but with a simple shot. There's so much about the humanoid creates that is just varies from humans more than I had first imagined."

"Hey," Mr. Jeager interrupted Hange's special moment, combing over to the table. "I want you guys to focus on the titan's role in the construction of the walls. You'll also have to do research on the walls but I think these two subjects go hand in hand. Any questions?" He took a moment, glancing at the three of us. "If not, then I'm giving you guys the rest of the class period to brainstorm your projects. This will be due by the end of next week."

With that, Mr. Jeager walked away, leaving the three of us sitting at the table. "At least he gave us plenty of time." Sasha sighs. "So I guess if we need to work outside of class I'm going to be going to your all's dorm since you're already paired together."

"Sounds good." I nod. "And it sounds like one of us already knows plenty about the titans." Me and Sasha both glance over to Hange who flashes us a mildly embarrassed grin.

"Sorry, guess I started to ramble."

"Don't worry about it!" I laugh. "At least there's something you're passionate about."

"Yeah," Hange sighs. "You don't have to listen when I start going off like that. Sometimes it just feels good to speak. Even if nobody can hear me."

"No, it seems like you know a lot." I start. "I think you'll really help us with this project."

"Yeah," Sasha agrees. "I mean, I couldn't tell you anything about a titan, so you'll definitely be teaching me something." The corners of Hange's mouth lift slightly, and it makes my heart swell to find that maybe there's a comfort that they feel with us. I'm sure that throughout the years, they've found that even the people that they are closest to will somehow tune them out. Maybe even Levi and Erwin, although I'm sure they don't mean to. If Hange wants to speak, then Ill be willing to listen.

"So, I guess well just organize this in some kind of google slide. (Name), you're kinda artistic, do you think you could design the slides? Hange can write down everything that they know and I can research for further information. We should be able to knock this out in less than two hours."

"Yeah, sounds good, Sasha."

Hange nodded in agreement and pulled out a notepad. "A lot of things on here might not be completely useful, but Ill try to write down about everything I know about the composition of titans and how their skin hardens. If I'm being honest, I don't know all that much about the walls, but we can always search that up later."

I rested my chin on my hand, watching as Hange scribbled down as many facts as they could, occasionally stopping for a moment to try to recall a word or two. Flashes of memories from the night before entered my mind.

Is there something I feel for Hange, or was I just super tired? It's be odd to start a relationship this soon, I just met them yesterday. But they just feel right. Maybe I just need to get to being friends with them first so I can really understand.

"I got it." Hange said, handing the notebook over to Sasha. "I know it's a lot, but if there's anything you think that I missed, we can look it up."

Sasha flipped through pages of notes, scanning each line. "No, this looks really good. It seems that we're covered for the titan portion of our project, we just need to understand the walls."

"Alright, class." Mr. Grisha said, catching the class's attention. "We're about to leave class here. Ill give you a bit more time next period, but other than that, you'll have to finish the rest on your own outside of my class. Please start packing your bags and get ready for this class's dismissal."

Word Count: 985 Words