11. the closest thing

Then
"You look like you're having the time of your life." Adrien's snicker broke you out of your trance. You were laying down on one of the benches in the courtyard, waiting for class to start by throwing your purple ball, catching, then repeat.

You didn't even look at him. "It's splendid."

"What's got you in such a mood?" He asked with a hum, sitting on the floor in front of the bench and letting his back lean against it only slightly.

You cringed as you noticed how close he was. If you were to move a single muscle then your body would graze his.

You scooted closer to the opposite edge of the bench, not caring enough to wonder if he noticed.

"I hate today."

"Have something against the number fourteen?" He asked.

"No, just the month of February."

"Ah, upset because you're single?"

"I don't give a crap about any of that sort of thing!" You snapped, still throwing your ball. Adrien found amusement in teasing you which is why you stayed away from him as much as you could.

Especially after your last argument with him. I'm the end you did achieve a higher score on the exam then he did, but the win felt emptier. Especially once he congratulated you.

"I love Valentine's Day." He spoke dreamily. "I want to tell the girl I'm in love with my feelings for her today."

You paused at that, not expecting your heart to drop.

The two of you had talked about her before. About her mystical blue eyes, incredible intelligence, and overwhelming confidence. You never minded, you may have not experienced feelings like that for anyone—but you were glad he did.

Your grandfather always told you how amazing it is to be in love with someone, how it's like setting yourself free and dancing in the rain or chasing the stars.

But the closest thing you ever felt to that was during the nights you spent alone with Adrien, when you finally put away the textbooks.

"Well good for you." You we're sitting up not, gripping the edge of the bench hard.

You were sure he was looking at you now, but you kept your eyes glued to the intricate details of the wall.

"Thanks." He chuckled. "Don't worry, if it goes well I'll still make time to study with you."

You caught yourself on the wall after you stood up so abruptly that you stumbled forward. Your eyes shot back to him, narrow and angry. "Yeah, I'm sure Nathalie will have it in your schedule. Your father did insist." You spoke mockingly, grabbing your bag and ball and storming off.

"Y/n!" You tried not to groan at Marinette's voice.

You slowed your pace only slightly. "Are you okay? Gosh I can't believe how easily you talk to Adrien! I'm so jealous!" She whined, walking in tangent next to you.

"Oh, yep, lucky me." You spoke through gritted teeth.

"He's just so handsome isn't he? He always smiles so big when he talks to you, I'm jealous!"

"Yeah, but I don't have magnificent blue eyes." You whispered, thinking back to the dull colors of yours.

"What did you say?" You turned and faced her, noticing the way her eyes sparkled. You smiled gently, wondering if she was the one he was in love with.

Well, maybe not, she isn't very confident with him.

"I was wondering if you got him anything for Valentine's Day?" You deflected with a teasing smile.

She had been holding her hands behind her back and you noticed the way her arms tensed. You chuckled softly. "Don't worry about it."

You waved at her as you walked up to your seat in your class, sulking next to Nathaniel.

"I never imagined you'd look lovesick." He chuckled as he noticed the sleepy look in your eyes.

"I do not." You bit.

"Here." He slid you something wrapped in crinkly paper.

You looked over at it with furrowed brows, grabbing it. "What's this?"

"Don't be that guy, just open it." He rolled his eyes.

You tugged on the little red ribbon and opened the small package.

A couple of candies you liked came tumbling out along with a picture of the two of you. You were both working on your art so you imagined someone else took it. On the back he wrote in slanted sharpie, I love my best friend.

You felt your eyes watering, looking up at the boy besides you.

"It's not much." He rubbed the back of his neck bashfully. "I just know how much you hate today so I wanted to make sure at least a few seconds of it made you smile."

You smiled. "You're lucky I like this candy." You teased, leaning towards him and hugging you slightly.

***
It was a really weird day.

Your mind kept flashing back to the scene in the grass you witnessed during your fight against Kim's akumatized form.

The lesson in class had been about a true love's kiss out of the story books, love conquering hate and all that shit.

Chat Noir was hit by the power, protecting Ladybug like normal.

When she had broke him free from the spell, all you could do was just stare in watch.

You had never really seen anyone kiss before, it was weird. Especially since this was two people you were beginning to know better.

You glanced down at your photo of you and Nathaniel in your hand.

Today had been so distracting that you hadn't even picked up a paint brush.

You sighed, flopping back on your bed, watching the way your fan spun slowly.

You couldn't stop thinking about Adrien either, and the confusing feeling that came from him and you using each other.

Then there was Marinette who treated you like such a good friend, but didn't know about what you did that was betraying her behind closed doors.

Then there was Nathaniel who you loved as your best friend, but was in love with your other self.

"Man, you really are a bad person." Stompp chuckled lowly as you recited everything back to him.

You moved to flick him in the forehead but then placed your hand back down besides you. "I know." You whispered, rolling over and sleeping off the rest of that cursed day.