Chapter 1

Chapter 1

When I wake up, everyone is running around and tending to people. I slowly sit up and place a hand to my pounding head. I start looking around, trying to understand where I am and what happened. When I lay my eyes on the unconscious form of Alina, everything comes back to me. Mal having to go through the Fold. Alina burning the maps so we could go with him. The Volcra attacking us. Being hit on the head with something and then passing out. Something must have stopped the Volcra after I passed out, otherwise we would all be dead right now. I shiver at the thought. I crawl over to Alina and a healer who just started tending to her wounds.

"Are you okay?" I ask once her eyes are open.

She tries to sit up, but the healer pusher her back down.

"Hold! Your collarbone is fractured." She orders before using her magic and mending it again.

"Where's Mal?" Alina asks me, after realizing that he's not next to her.

"I don't know, he wasn't there when I woke up."

"Where's Mal? He's a Tracker." Alina asks turning towards the healer.

"First Army goes to medical." She answers immediately.

Suddenly a man walks up to us.

"Bring her to the General's tent." He says to the healer.

"Who?" Me and Alina ask at the same time.

"A certain miss Starkov."

Alina and I share a confused glance. We're both miss Starkov.

"But I'm not done yet." The healer comments.

"You can go with her." He shoots back annoyed, before leaving.

The healer stands up and we follow her example. Alina and I a bit slower than her because of our injuries.

"So, which one of you two is miss Starkov?" She asks, looking between the two of us.

We both look at each other before Alina answers. "We both are."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tent she brought us to, is big and black. All around the walls, are people who where with us on the ship, Oprichniki and other Grisha, who I don't know. In the center of the room, close to the back wall, sits a desk. Standing in front of it, is a man with shadow black hair and eyes like the sky after a thunder storm. General Kirigan, or as others call him, the Darkling.

"You requested to see them." The healer says, looking towards the floor.

"I requested to see miss Starkov." He corrects.

He isn't talking loudly, but his voice carries itself across the whole room. You would think he was talking right next to you.

"They say they are both miss Starkov." She says, still looking down.

He turns looking at the two of us. His eyebrows slightly raised.

"We are sisters." Alina responds to his silent question.

She is holding her head high and looking directly at him, while my head is tilted down, but my eyes are looking up. She has always been the confident one between the two of us. I don't like big crowds, they stress me out.

I don't even know why I'm here. I did nothing wrong. Alina did nothing wrong.

"Well, that certainly complicates things." He mutters to himself. "Bring them closer." He orders.