0. The Beginning

We were not a thing.

We were not an item.

We were in love, yet we couldn't agree what love actually meant. He was everything I thought I wanted, but yet everything I hated in another person.

He was everything good in the world. The sun hitting your skin just right after months of cool winter air. The smell of fresh cut grass after the first trim of the season. The sound of rocks tumbling in a nearby stream.

He was also everything I hated in the world. The feeling of jealousy as his hand wrapped around the waist of another girl. The taste of a bitter drink after a long night of drinking. Your brand new white shoes getting splashed by a rain puddle on the side of the road.

He was something I wrote in my journal every night to remind myself not to fall for someone like that again.

He was the one I saw in my dreams every time I hoped and prayed it would be someone else.

He was the person I would always love deep down inside even though I know he hasn't thought about me since.

Our story was beautiful, in the most tragic way. Something out of a story book. Yet it was a story I wish I could erase from history.

If I could restart the clock, I would lie. I would lie to him and I would lie to myself. I would ask him one favor from the very beginning, "lie to me."