CH 5: Twilight

Although she fell asleep easily after finally getting to bed, she didn't sleep well and got only a few hours of rest before awaking with Thranduil--and Sorcha--on her mind. She wondered if they had been lovers, or even if they still were. Wondered if they were in love. Of course, they couldn't marry, as elves only marry once in a lifetime--unless they receive approval from the Valar. Her father was only one of two ellons who had been permitted to marry twice; if Thranduil wanted to marry again, he probably would have tried to do so by now. Wouldn't he? Nuella had said last night that she didn't have to worry about him marrying again. Why would she say that? Does she know something?

And why do I care? She asked herself. Marriage between cousins was taboo among their people, and he can't marry again anyway. Why am I even thinking about this? She knew very well why: she was drawn to him like the river to the sea, like birds to the sky. She had never had such a powerful attraction to any other ellon ever. And it was obvious the first time she met him. And she was certain she sensed that he was interested in her, but that could also be attributed to his being such a charming flirt: she was just going to have to get over this. It could never be. And it was none of her business if he and Sorcha were having a relationship. Compared to them, she was but a child. A silly child.

She did, however, want to take more responsibility around the palace, so she decided to go by Thranduil's office after breaking fast to see if there was anything she could do to help out with the investigation of the intruders.

The door to Thranduil's office was open, so she stepped inside and he walked in right behind her.

"Good morning, Cousin King," she said as she moved out of the entry way to let him pass through.

"Well, it's morning," he replied. "That boy who says his name is nobody still isn't talking. We figured out he and his brother came in during the many deliveries for the dinner last night and I've dealt with those responsible for letting them slip in unnoticed. The only way I can find out which vendor they may have worked for is to send scouts to each one, and that would take forever. He paused and looked at her: Unless . . ."

"Unless what, cousin?"

"Well, you're quite the enchantress. You talked a boy right out of his britches. Surely, you could get a name out of this one."

"I don't know, cousin. The circumstances are quite different, but I will try if you want me to. I do want to help."

"Yes, and you can. We've only given him water since we locked him up. Go to the kitchen and fill a basket with muffins, tarts, and . . ."

"Your venison. That would make anyone agreeable to just about anything!" Rowan said excitedly.

"Oh, really? That's good to know," Thranduil quipped.

"Cousin! Don't make me laugh! I have work to do. I'll be in the library planning my strategy. When I go to his cell, please don't have anyone watching me or I'll be self conscious."

"Not to worry. I trust you. You'll be on your own."

In the library, Rowan thought about her approach. What she would say, how she would say it, to gain the boy's trust. She then concentrated on her enchantment, working on eliminating all guile to enhance her innocence, to even give herself a glamour of childlike innocence while working on conjuring pheromones that induce attraction--and perhaps love. The boy had to completely forget that she was one of "them," an elf, an enemy.

When she felt ready, she went to the kitchen, fixed a basket of goodies, and even a small carafe of milk. No wine, she didn't want him to simply melt into a puddle on the floor. He needed to be alert, to pay attention, for the enchantment to be successful.