Chapter 22-Eri

I kept my eyes shut because I was afraid of what could be coming,but then I heard some muffled sounds above,and I decided to open my eyes. I was so far down,but I knew it was a nun,with a girl...I think? I squinted my eyes a bit,and could see the nun pushing the girl in,who was screaming very loudly! I frantically moved around places trying to see where she was going to land,so I could catch her. I heard her scream,"PLEASE DON'T EAT ME OOGLY BOOGLY MONSTER".Thankfully I did catch her,and I could recognize her just from the backside. It was Nova,and I slowly moved my hands towards her shoulders so I could make her face me. Her eyes were shut,but soon she opened them. "Luke",she said in a soft tone of voice, "yes,"I replied calmly,"you are not a monster," she said suspiciously,beginning to look me up and down. I stared deeply into her green eyes,and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear,"no I'm not" I said,now moving my hands on her cheeks. Nova started to stare deeply into my eyes,and it was the first time I really noticed that her eyes glistened like emeralds underneath the moon. Our eyes were quickly drawn apart when we heard leaves crunching above us. I thought it was one of the Nuns coming to check on us or dump a bucket of spiders on us. I panicked,and could start to hear my heart pounding at a million miles per hour. Then my throat started to close up,and it felt like there was no more air for me to breathe! I grabbed Nova's hand,and yanked her to the muddy wall. I made sure she wasn't going to try and squirm out because I held her there with my arm. I told her to be quiet,and we both waited,and looked up from where we heard the crunching leaves. Beads of sweat dribbled down my forehead,as I looked up for the shadowy figure that was approaching us. Finally the figure was revealed,and it was Eri,one of the other kids here with powers. A wave of relief washed over me,and I let go of Nova,knowing that Eri was kind,and that she probably wouldn't do anything hurtful. "Hello Eri , what are you doing at this time of night?" I asked her curiously. Eri looked side to side,making sure no one was watching,and then she turned her focus back to us. "I came to free you guys" she responded nervously,"how did you escape" I asked curiously. Again,she looked from side to side,and then turned her focus back to us once again. "I melted the barred windows,and tied a lot of blankets together to form a rope and climb down," she replied. Then that's when she yanked a rope of blankets down the hole for us,"hurry and climb,before one of the nun does the nightly check in and realizes I'm gone" she exclaimed. I nodded my head and ushered for Nova to climb first because if one of us were to escape,I would want Nova to because I don't want her to have a life like I did. She touched my cheek with her right hand,and then turned to climb up the rope. Eri kept looking side to side,making sure no one was coming out,and when she saw no one she would turn to us for about thirty seconds and then do the same thing again! Once Nova got to the top,Eri looked to the side again,and squinted her eyes slightly. "What is it, Eri,do you see something?" I asked her desperately. Then her eyes widened,and she turned to me. "GET ON THE ROPE NOW" she yelled,and started to tug the rope upwards as I began to climb. Again,my heart started racing,and the air felt like there was no more. I kept climbing though,one way or another I was going to leave St Joans once and for all! I finally reached the top,and looked to my left to where Eri was pointing at,and sure enough there were angry nuns,and priests running towards us with torches,and pitchforks. I looked at Nova,and held out my hand for her to grab onto,and sure enough she did. Then I turned to Eri,"let's go" I said,"I can't" she replied,as a few tears fled down her face. I panicked,"ERI YOU HAVE TO THIS IS OUR ONLY CHANCE!" Eri just shook her head,"no it's YOUR only chance,I have to stay with my siblings,I can't leave them,not here" she responded,taking a deep breath while wiping off the tears from her face. I nodded my head,seeing as this is what she really wanted. "I'll come back for you" I whispered,and then squeezed Nova's hand. Eri smiled for the first time since she's been here,"I know you will," she said,slowly turning around to face the angry nuns,and priests. Nova had to pull me for us to start running away into the shadowy woods because I was still in shock,and I didn't wanna leave her. Once I couldn't see her anymore,I turned face forward to run with Nova,hand,in hand! Our clothes hit against the sharp sticks,and we stumbled a few times from the rocks beneath us,but we did not look back. I did hear footsteps running after us in the crumbling leaves,but they soon faded,and disappeared. It must have been hours of running,or it must have felt like it because we didn't have a watch. Then there was a light shining through some branches up ahead,and Nova was beginning to get tired. "No more Luke,I can't run anymore" she said within breaths,beginning to fall over. I shook my head,"no No,not now,there's a light up ahead" I said breathlessly,pointing in the direction where I saw it. Nova looked up to see it,and she nodded her head slowly,and then grabbed on to my neck,allowing me to pick her up. Instead of running though,I walked all the way to the light. Estimated,it took about fifteen minutes,and we were finally out,and into a small village. I dropped Nova onto her feet,on the cobblestone path,and looked around us. There was one building which caught my eye because it was the only one with its lights on because it was probably midnight. I tapped Nova on the shoulder,and led her towards it. Then I frantically knocked on the door,and did not stop. I could see silhouettes in the window and rush to the door in curiosity. I held Nova's hand tightly as they slowly opened the door to reveal a husband,and wife wrapped in blankets looking us up and down.