Level 1: The Crate

The neighborhood streets were cold and desolate at this hour. As the sun bids its adieu to this part of the world; leaving it with nothing more than a somber setting and a consistent chill. A sleepy late-autumn afternoon could never promise too much excitement for the full-grown adults and young children stuck in their homes; however, those in the limbo of both groups might beg to differ.

For a brief moment, the quiet time alone enjoyed by the nearest indoor inhabitants was briefly interfered with. Rolling steadily down the narrow winding streets, the passengers of a chipped lime-green Volkswagen made their short appearance in these small neighborhoods. Perhaps going a touch over the speed limit, the wheels ground heavily against the paved road, easily snapping away any loose branches and foliage peeking over the closed in sides. Rooted in the fear or messing up, the driver intended to minimize distraction from all other surroundings in order to ride safely. From just a side glance given by the passenger, one could obviously spot that despite his masculine front, the driver, Freddie, found himself buried deep in a festering mass of anxiety. Alongside the further darkening and eerie pathway leading towards the inevitable unknown, the constant chatter from his kid sister's brand new toy didn't help much of anything, either.

"Bring! Bring! E-he-he-he-he!"

"Allope, would you kindly consider turning off your toy for just one minute? Please? I'm trying to focus on the road," Freddie interrupted while maintaining a calm approach.

"It's not just a toy, Dipstick-" The passenger to his right playfully mocked, "It's a Spinby! I think it's supposed to be way more advanced, or something. It's almost like having a pet- just without the mess-making and allergies!"

"Yeah-sure-I get it. We all appreciate the fact that you were able to give her a semi-late birthday gift, but did you really have to give it to her right now?" A rise in tension was present in his voice. Shifting the light waves of locks dangling freely in front of her face, Rebecca gave out a sigh to fully comprehend her hysterical relative. Placing an elbow on the knee of her propped-up leg, and the other on her hip, she stared intently hoping this would get Freddie to internalize his ridiculousness.

"Come on- It's going to be fine. I'm just making up for it all at once. I'm sure more than anything that you two will have an amazing time", Rebecca reassured as Freddie eased his tight grip on the wheel.

"Okay-okay. I get it. I'm calm. And I thought you said that you didn't know much about this place. Why do you suddenly know so much information about it?"

"WHA?!" Rebecca exclaimed while throwing her arms up in the air, "Just because I don't know much about a place doesn't mean I haven't been in it. You know how I am when I'm away from home!"

Freddie chuckled, "Heh-Yeah. I know."

Not paying much attention, Allope fidgeted with the faux creature, pushing up and down its eyelids, feeling the vibrations of the stiff servos through her fingers. Allope, while old enough to understand that the toy was no living creature, or even close to sentience; still endeared to the unknown source of its lively illusion. She found herself like this often; servos and mechanics would leave her boggled, and inspire her to reach the farthest corners of the unknown, but she had never been close enough to finding the true source. Adolescents at this time couldn't give a direct answer to this source to educate the young Allope. Perhaps even coming to understanding a product so-beyond its own time was far more complicated to explain than it seemed.