The Awkward Side To Model Boy, And A Possible Truce

"When you are tired or have a hard time, I'll be the person you want to lean on."

EXO, For Life

***

I had a stalker once.

He was this junior I had saved in the school carpark, and even after a million times of telling him that I didn't want any repayment in return, he kept on trying to impress me.

He sent little love notes to my class. Hung flowers and post-its on my locker. Delivered long letters to my house.

He was so excited when he got my number; it was the last straw, and after the restraining order, he never bothered me again.

It's funny how this has to happen all over again.

I tried to suppress the whirl of emotions suddenly building up inside me: the fear that came from knowing he now had my number; the disgust from his touch, his kiss; and the frustration that made me wanted to just squeeze the life out of something.

I stood up, swallowing my dread as I paced in front of the bench, my thoughts scattered.

I am very, very, disturbed.

But you know, if you people know they've ticked you off, then the game is over.

"Do you know how hard it is to get your number?" Jae Woong said airily, letting out a sigh of triumph.

I rolled my eyes despite my desire to hit something. Honestly, can he not try to be so dramatic? It's tiring as hell.

I spotted Kris looking at me, his expression a cross between concern and curiosity as he watched me pace and punch the air.

"I tried calling so many different ones but Woohyun and he says you change your numbers so many times," he continued, "Thank goodness he's got the recent one."

Look how smug he sounds.

"You must be so happy with yourself, Jae Woong," I said breezily, "If only I weren't holding my phone; I'd clap my hands for you in utter congratulations. You've managed to get my number, hip hip hurray."

There was a pause as he realized I hadn't reacted the way he had probably wanted me to.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. "I just wanted to call you and say Happy New Year," he responded, "You must be somewhere, bored out of your mind."

I emitted a laugh at his appeal to my feelings. "Thank you for your concern, but as it is, I'm actually with someone right now. Up until you called, it was a perfectly intimate moment."

Kris frowned.

There was another pause. "In-Intimate?" Jae Woong echoed.

My lips turned upwards into a smirk. "Yes. Intimate. Thank you for calling and conveying your wishes; I'll keep them close to my heart always."

"Wait-"

I hung up in glee, practically skipping in my high heels as I went back to bench and sank on it, furiously tapping on my phone.

Guess I know whose number to block now.

I locked my screen and sighed, only to see Kris staring at me.

"So has your number now?" he asked, his question as quick and sharp as a sword.

"I suppose," I said, sighing and shutting my eyes, "I should have seen it coming anyway; we shared a lot of friends, and now we're sharing classmates."