Winds Of Change

"I pray that you'll be happy like you were in the beginning."

- EXO, Promise

We stood in front of the large frame illuminated by a cold blue light.

Carte Blanche, it said.

Ji Yoon turned to me, unimpressed. "I don't understand how some artists can just hang a blank canvas and say it's art and try to sell it for a few thousand dollars," she muttered, "I mean, seriously. Even if it's grey, there's at least something on the canvas. But an empty canvas?"

I exhaled under my breath, scratching the high-collared lace trim around my neck. "That's better than selling a gown that makes you feel like a thousand ants on your skin," I muttered back, huffing as I stood next to her, "At least you're not making anyone suffer."

The Biennale – a bi-annual celebration of all things artsy and eccentric – was a much-hyped celebration of local and international artists and the high-profile guests were as equally talked about as the submissions to be auctioned.

The theme this year was In All Absolutes, and the team of artists commissioned to take part had to take a side: black or white, and create an artwork that best described the color.

Unfortunately, the selections at the bright side were, unlike their namesake, very disappointing.

As per the theme, my mother had insisted I wear black and her white, and had proceeded to buy matching lace gowns with layers of taffeta underskirts.

I hate taffeta. It's scratchy and puffy and gets everywhere.

Sometimes I wish Ji Yoon's stylist was mine. She gets to wear smooth satin gowns with crystals. Simple but chic enough.

Meanwhile I'm scratching my skin red.

"I feel like a flea-infested alley-cat," I muttered, tugging the lace on my neck.

Of all things, a high collar. Made of lace, and no lining!

Honestly, Ma!

Ji Yoon laughed. "Maybe we should go out, have a bit of cool night air," she suggested, "Oh, look there's your mom!"

She pointed out the museum window, where my mother was surrounded by a lot of other guests. Unlike me, she wasn't scratching her collar every few seconds, which was irritating to say the least.

I saw other people spotting her and making their way over, probably either to kiss up to her or to really ask after her wellbeing.

You can never really tell with these people. Everyone has their own agenda.

"Come on, let's go sample some desserts," Ji Yoon said to me, leading me to the exit.

I rolled my eyes. "You already had more than a simple," I deadpanned, "And I don't want to go out, the aircon's better in here."

"Oh, come on, Jang Mi. If I don't get a sip of wine, I'll go crazy," she said.

"Go ahead, then."

"You want some champagne too? I could get you a glass."

Hmm. "My mom banned me tonight. Unfortunately, that makes me want to drink some even more."

Ji Yoon laughed. "I'll be right back." She bounced out, leaving me in a hallway of portraits devoid of people.

"I'll be around," I called, and she gave a thumbs-up.

Picking up my skirts, I turned down the hallway, where it was quieter, hoping to find a lone bench where I could sit. My shoes echoed on the wooden floor, the click-clack sounds mixing with the soft opera music playing out of the speakers of the museum.