✰ sick day ✰

I sat at my desk, the dim lamp illuminated the files which lay in front of me. This mission was really starting to get to me, I haven't even uncovered a lead and I've been on this case for 3 days. Which also means I haven't slept in 3 days. Instead of sleeping, I sit here, digging up anything and everything I can find, turning every stone, checking every record and file, but I can't seem to grasp onto something solid.

And to add to my misery, I have the worst headache. Ever.

It's one of those headaches that makes your entire body hot, but then you feel cold at the same time and then 5 seconds later you're sweating again. I feel like I have a heartbeat in my skull. And I would groan but that would only hurt my head more.

I wish that someone would just connect the dots for me and circle the answers in bright red marker.

I checked my phone, making out the time which was 5:30am. Every muscle and cell in my body screamed at me to crawl into bed and call in sick but my stupid brain told me to get up, which I did. Getting off my chair already took enough effort, so I didn't put much effort into getting dressed. I threw on my comfiest hoodie and a pair of sweats, trying to recreate the warmth that only my bed could provide. But alas, duty calls.

I grabbed my mountain of papers and trudged out of my bunk to the bright florescent lights of the Playground, which hit me like a slap to the face. Groaning, I squinted my eyes as tight as possible while still being able to see. I made my treacherous journey to the kitchen, dragging my feet behind me.

"Y/N! Lovely morning isn't it?" Jemma said with a bright smile, which made my day a little bit better. I hid all signs of fatigue to shoot her a smile back, which physically hurt.

"It is." I responded, ignoring the sweat running down the back of my neck.

"Y/N, are you alright? You look a bit pale." She questioned, her eyebrow raised. I was hoping that no one would notice the visible lack of color in my cheeks but it seems I didn't get so lucky.

"Probably just a case of the Mondays." I lied. Thankfully, Jemma was very easy to fool. She's a genius at most everything but lying. I, however, am very good at it. "I just need my coffee." I poured the hot coffee into my mug, soaking in the rich smell of caffeine. I wrapped my freezing fingers around the cup which allowed me to feel my fingertips again. Even the act of holding up my cup took unmeasurable energy.

"You should try tea. It's much better than coffee, in my opinion." She smiled sweetly, walking away from me and into the common room, joining the rest of the team.

I stuck behind for a moment, trying to solidify my feet on the ground. My head was spinning.

Maybe I should have stayed in bed this morning.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for work. I walked into the common room, exchanging nods with the rest of the team. I stood between Bobbi and Fitz, who were both listening intently to Coulson as he spoke about what we knew about Hydra's whereabouts.

I felt my head continue to spin, but I didn't say anything. I just shifted from foot to foot to avoid falling over into Fitz, who probably couldn't stop me from hitting the ground if I actually did fall. Coulson's voice slowly faded into the background as the ringing in my head overtook.

I need like 20 Advil and 3 years of sleep.

"Y/N?" I snapped out of my daze, the entire team was looking at me. Oops. "Did you hear anything I just said?" Coulson stared at me with raised eyebrows.

"No." I answered honestly, rubbing my eyes. I made quick eye contact with May, who shot me a weird glance.

"I asked if you had found any leads on the location of the secret Hydra fortress." He inquired hopefully.