✰ sorry ✰

d. johnson, fluff/angst

 Growing up in a SHIELD centric family, touch wasn't really a love language you were familiar with. In your family, love was shown through sarcasm and tough love, but not hugs or visible displays of affection.

However, as you sat on the floor of your bedroom, there was nothing more you wanted than for someone to wrap their arms around you and tell you it was going to be ok.

For the past few days, it seems like everything is falling apart. The Watchdogs have indirectly been tormenting you and your girlfriend, Daisy, for months, threatening Inhumans around the world. And you were especially getting sick of the fact that Daisy was gone, picking fights that were much too dangerous for one person.

She was different than she was last year. The Daisy you met wasn't even Daisy, she was Skye. Always headstrong, but never reckless. But nowadays, Daisy has been motivated by anger and personal motives and she's been obsessed with this hate group.

She barely takes care of herself and it started to take a physical toll on you about a week ago, but now, everything came crashing down since Daisy returned.

As you pulled your knees up to your chest, trying to contain the tears which threatened to fall, you let out a shaky breath. You leaned your back against the bed for support. Wrapping your arms around your own legs was about the closest you could get to mocking any sense of comfort, so you did that, lowering your head between your knees.

"Y/N, it's me." The voice came from outside of your door, but you didn't need confirmation to know who it was.

She knocked again, trying again before leaving, however, she heard the sniffle you let out as you tried to wipe away your tears.

"Y/N, are you crying?"

"No." You croaked, sighing when your voice came out shakier than you wanted it to.

"That's a lie." She paused, waiting for you to respond. When you didn't answer, she lowered her voice, "Can I come in?"

For a moment, you hesitated. Part of you was mad at her. She left you because of what happened last year. Instead of working it out and leaning on you for support, she took off and decided to fight her battles alone. Part of you was also unsure if you wanted to let Daisy see you like this: teetering on the edge of a full on breakdown.

Despite both of those feelings, a majority of your thoughts nagged at you, practically begging for you to say yes.

"I guess." You whispered just loud enough for her to hear.

When she opened the door, you didn't bother to look up from your knees. Her heart practically shattered when she saw you sitting on the floor, struggling to take shaky breaths.

She knew you were upset at her, most everyone on the team was, but she didn't realize the number it had done on you.

When Daisy left, the team watched you deteriorate under the stress of worrying for her. It broke their hearts as your usual outgoing, kind persona became more gloomy and isolated. All that you wanted was for her to be safe, but now that she was back, you didn't know how to feel.

"Can I sit next to you?" She asked timidly, not wanting to push your boundaries. She knew she fucked up, and she was seeing it in person now.

You nodded, feeling a slight sensation of relief as the side of her body brushed against yours. She was real, and she was safe.

An audible sob left your mouth, which you tried to muffle, but it was no use.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N." She carefully placed her hand on your elbow, causing more tears to flow from your eyes. She hated seeing you like this. You never cried or broke down like this. She especially hated that she was the reason for it.

"You left."

"I know, I'm sorry. I had to do-"

"You didn't have to do anything, you made a choice. A selfish one." You lifted your head, turning to look at the wall. You couldn't even bare to look at her.

"I was trying to protect you."

"If you really wanted to protect me, you wouldn't have left. I needed you. You left when I needed you most and I have been sick to my stomach for weeks waiting for the one day when I get a phone call telling me that you're lying dead in a street in some random city. I haven't slept in days, I can't eat, I can't breathe, I can't think with you out there." You rambled in a panic, barely able to filter what was coming out of your mouth.

Daisy couldn't take it anymore. She pulled your arms off of your legs, forcing you to relax and lean against her chest. She wrapped her arms around your body, holding you up. She tried not to cry as your sobs shook your body.

"I'm here." She whispered against your head, kissing the top of your head over and over again, almost as if to apologize.

As she ran her fingers through your hair, you were able to stabilize your breathing for the most part, a few hiccups escaping as you calmed down.

"I'm so sorry." She pulled your head up, cupping your face between her hands, finally catching a glimpse of your face, which she had missed the entire time she was gone.

"Don't leave." She nodded as she pulled you back in, a silent understanding between both of you; she would never make you cry like that again.