#31 - Foolish

Kyungmi's POV

"How did you know who I was, Namjoon?" I break the silence as we approach the Seoul Palace.

It feels weird being back here after so long away. Even being back to a place I'm very much familiar with, it still feels like it's the first time I'm arriving here - it doesn't feel the same anymore. It doesn't feel like home even though I've spent my whole life here.

He takes in a breath as our horse come to a steady stop. "I figured it out. I was trying so long to find out why the Queen wanted you out of the picture so badly, like her life depended on it. Then I figured you must be more important that I thought. And then this was all confirmed when I then noticed that necklace you always wear."

Namjoon pauses, glancing at the jewellery around my neck. I look down at it too, faintly nodding. "And then you saw the one Ayeong was wearing."

"Yeah," he says, hopping off the horse.

"I'm sorry for lying to you." I say, about to climb off the horse too whilst being careful of my wound.

Helping me down to the ground by taking my hands in his, Namjoon shakes his head. "Don't be, you did what you had to do to protect yourself. And you didn't just lie to me; you lied to everyone."

I cringe a little at that, and Namjoon notices and forces a laugh. "Which probably wasn't a good thing to say, was it?"

I shake my head. "Nope."

"Does this mean I have to call you your majesty from now on?" He tries to spark some humor into the air, which works as I lightly chuckle.

"You can call me whatever you want, Namjoon." I reply.

He nods faintly. "So how was it? You know, hiding in Daegu? I thought the King would've treated you horribly but at the masquerade ball he seemed to really care about you. Does he know you're the Queen too?"

"No, he doesn't. His protector does know however, and also one of the prisoners I met." My mind travels to both Yoongi and Jimin knowing about me.

"Oh yeah, I remember the protector from the ball. He has an interesting way of talking to others doesn't he?"

I chuckle softly. "Yeah, he does. But he means well. He's a good guy. And so is the King, as a matter of fact. People have put this label onto him that's nowhere near who he really is. He's been through a lot, and now all he has left from his family is his brother."

Once again, I recall of what Seokjin said in the cells: if anything were to happen to Beomgyu, the King would lose it. Because he loves him so much, too much. But I don't have any worries; I know nothing will happen to Beomgyu for Taehyung to worry about.

"Well I think after this, a lot of the people of Seoul, if not all of them, will look at the King in a lighter way, and the Quee- I mean Yoonhee in a completely different way. They'll turn on her when they find out what she's tried to do; it's treason, Kyungmi."

A sigh leaves my lips. "Believe me, I know. Many things can happen, but one of them is not going to be her getting away with this."

We approach the double doors and stop before them. The air is full of a curious yet deadly silence.

"I've just realised," I turn to him. "When this is all over I'll probably need a new protector."

As my eyes stare into his with raised eyebrows and a knowing smile, his expression turns into one of understanding and his lips part in shock. "Wait, seriously? Me?"

I shrug. "Why not? My current one is trying to kill me, and unless you're gonna try and kill me too I think you're perfect for the job."

Namjoon's lips turn upwards into a pout of consideration. "Seems like a tempting offer. I'll think about it." He teases, even though by the smug look on his face it seems as if he's already decided.