Dead-end

They fly through the corridors pushing and shoving their way towards the exit. Hector rushes out into the lobby sweat dripping down his back as he once again dares to cast a glance behind. The crowd of guests they just passed won't hold the guards back for long but it doesn't matter. Not any more now when he triumphantly closes his hand around the doorknob and...
"Holy shit" he cries out as he slams his shoulder into the wood frame but only gets rewarded with pain.
"This can't be for real?!" he mumbles as he backs up a couple of steps just to throw himself at the looked door.
"what are you doing?!" June's voice barely cut through the commotion now taking place as the guards forcefully make their way through the crowd of onlookers.
"Move!" she yells and wedges herself in front
"it's looked, you won't be able to budge it," he says as he whips around
"we'll have to find another way out"
June yanks the door handle, hard, a moan of pain escaping her as her elbow takes the force straight on.
"told you," a tiny smirk on his face.
"How can you be smug in a moment like this, " she says coming up at his side, irritation and maybe even a tiny bit of fear in her tone.
"Great!" she sighs as their pursuers finally squish past the last guests and begin surrounding them.
"what now Commander?" Hector searches for an opening, a weak point in the formation of guards, a hidden staircase, anything. Too far up he can see a landing which he's relatively sure leads to the second-floor lounge they passed on their way in. 'if I just can get a hold on that ledge' he thinks maybe he could get June out of here. A voice travels through the great hall.
"on your knees!"
'well this is going great isn't it '
"NOW!" Something fumbles lightly with the fabric of his coat and he inclines his head slightly to the right, just barely catching his partner's whisper before she begins lowering herself to the ground.
"good girl" he hears the head guard say from the other side. Hector scowls at the comment but follows soon after.
"see," the man says
"That wasn't so hard now, was it?" The guards swarm them quickly pressing hard steel against his neck. A hard tug lifts his head and he levels the man in front of him with a glare.
"I've always wanted to see a brigade soldier's face, what do you say guys? should we unmask this..." he pauses to inspect Hector's badge
"...this" He can ser the moment the other connects the dots.
"this commander of the twentieth brigade" he laughs
"haven't I just hit the jackpot?"
Behind him, an almost unnoticeable klick. In a swift movement, June has risen to her feet and is now holding his service weapon to the base of her capturer's neck.
"Okay," she breathes hands steady around the cool metal as she backs up once again and kicks the door blocking the escape.
"Well isn't this just wonderful," the guard says
"Do you think this will save you? you can't even hold it right, heavens above! and now you're pointing it at me okay I see how it is" The grip on Hector's mask lessens, and he quick to resettle on his face.

Over his head, he hears people arguing about something and then shot firers.