Chapter 48: Sweet treats.

Naples, Italy. January 16th, 1999.

Ten years. To the day. Sitting on the beach for several hours already, she was gazing at the sea with serenity. The Sun was going to set soon, she didn't want to miss that. And above all, she didn't want him to miss it. So, after thinking about it all afternoon, she finally decided to take action. It was time. She was sure of it, this time she was ready to see him again.

"Noriaki? You hear me?"

The only answer she received was the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. But she remained calm and serene, closing her eyes to let the soft rays of the sun caress her face.

"Noriaki, if you are here, you can come. I am fully ready."

She felt a cool breeze in her hair, and she immediately opened her eyes. Next to her, Kakyoin was sitting with his knees against his chest, admiring the sea, a peaceful smile on his lips. She immediately mirrored his smile. In her body, her heart did not tighten, her throat did not tighten. No doubt she was cured. And the young man's presence at her side only appeased her a little more.

"How long have you been here?" she asked in a soft voice.

"I'm here all the time", he admitted, turning his head to give her a big smile.

"How are you feeling?

- Happy.

- Really?

- You're not in pain anymore. So I'm happy."

She who had become used to being so cold felt melted inside. She rested her head on his shoulder and they stayed there, watching the sunset in silence. They didn't need to speak to understand that their bonds were still as strong as on the first day. After a moment, she turned her head to face him.

"I think it's good. I'm really happy to have you here. I don't feel bad at all, quite the contrary.

- There were too many times when I wanted to show myself to help you.

- Ha, you must have seen some annoying things.

- Heaps!" he exclaimed, laughing.

She laughed with him. The sun was slowly disappearing over the horizon.

"Do you realize, it's already been ten years," he sighed.

"Time flies really quickly..."

Silence fell. Silence that Kakyoin broke by announcing tit for tat:

"I like him, the Risotto guy.

- Thank you for giving me your validation, caro.

- He takes very good care of you, it's reassuring. No, really, I like him. But tell me, do you plan to see this Bucciarati again one day?

- The fact that you know so much about my private life impresses me, Noriaki.

- I wanted to be sure that no one hurt you, it was stronger than me. But answer my question.

- Surely yes. But it's purely professional, I only want access to his land.

- Ha... It's crazy, you even manage to lie to yourself."

She met his eyes, frowning, noticing the small smirk he had on the corners of his lips.

"... what do you mean?

- I think you'll figure it out soon enough.

- ... I don't have time for romance anymore, Noriaki.

- And that's what you repeat to yourself, because you're just afraid of falling down again. But look, despite what you say, you're in love with Risotto.