CHAPTER [ 3 ] HAUNTING VISIONS

Lenore had no idea where she was.

Or why she appeared to be alive and in perfect health. 

She remembered the last moments before her eyes shut with striking clarity. But what happened after that, and how she arrived here – her mind was blank.

A long hallway stretched out before her, the walls were painted the same beige tone as the carpet. There weren't any pictures or paintings hanging on display. Honestly, there wasn't anything to say this space was lived in. And nothing from the surroundings sparked recognition but for some reason Lenore couldn't ignore the inkling of familiarity – that perhaps she may have been here before, or some place like this.

"Hello?" she called out, glancing back over her shoulder. "Is anyone here?"

When no one replied, Lenore began making her way forward down the endless hallway. All there was to do was explore and hope she stumbled on a person or the exit. She stopped and tried a couple of the doors as she passed, but all of them appeared to be locked, with no feasible way to enter.

 The hallway had a slight curve to it, which at the beginning kept Lenore in suspense at what might be around the bend. But as time continued to pass without her reaching an end or finding another hallway, the more she began to suspect that she might be walking in a circle.

She picked up the pace of her steps, until she was running down the hallway – anxiety taking complete control of her mind and body. There had to be a way to escape this place. Frantically, Lenore turned and rushed back to the door she'd only passed, grabbed the handle and twisted it, jiggled it, pulled at it – lifted her leg and used her foot as an anchor, just in case it needed more force.

Nothing happened – the wood didn't even groan like it felt any of the effort she was putting forth. With a frustrated cry, Lenore pushed back and threw up her hands. She turned on her heels, eyes wide as she scanned the world before her.

"Holy shit!" Lenore gasped, hand flying to her heart.

The sight of the young woman had shocked her, not because she had suddenly appeared in what she thought was an empty house, but because of the physical similarities between them. Honestly, she thought she was looking at a mirror image of herself at first glance.

Upon closer inspection, she noted the differences in their faces. The woman had a permanent dimple in her left cheek, and a smattering of freckles rising up her nose to the center of forehead, that drifted outward and created a crown above her brow. They did share the same narrow, dark eyes and long, thick wavy hair. Even the build of their bodies was basically a copy and paste – slender and short.

This woman was without a doubt a Gillard. That made her suspicious but Lenore confidently stepped toward her. What was the worst that they could do to her at this point?

"Excuse me? Do you know where we are?"

The woman didn't react to Lenore. In fact, she turned and started walking away.

"Hey!" She rushed after her, reaching out to grab hold of her arm only to watch her hand pass right through. The blood in her veins turned to ice. Lenore attempted once more to grab the woman and once again failed.

She froze, but her mind ran wild.

What the hell was this?

Had she died after all?

Was this hell?

A door nearby opened suddenly and a small child, no older than three, ran out to greet the woman. "Mama!"

"Shadow!" She scooped the child up and held her close. "I missed you."

The girl wrapped her small arms around the woman's neck, squeezing tight. The ache in Lenore's chest grew at their shared affection.