CHAPTER [ 6 ] DARK REVELRY

The clubhouse was full of life.

Electronic music flooded the crowded building. It spilled out onto the street outside, clinging to the patrons that had stepped out for a quick smoke break. Lenore stuck close to Kaiser as they passed through the front door, under the bright neon sign. The smell of beer and sweat hung heavy in the air. Bodies bumped, rubbed, and pressed against her as they squeezed through the narrow passage. The flow of people was moving toward the bar and deeper into the revelry, breaking away seemed impossible.

This was an entirely new experience for Lenore. She spent most of college nights studying and doing homework. Everything was in preparation for the future she'd envisioned. All the sacrifices were for her position in the family. It was all wasted time now. She should have enjoyed her time more; worried less about the future and lived in the moment.

It was too late. The glittering lights and bright smiles – the haze of drunken nights and hungover mornings; it seemed beyond her reach. Lenore's world had taken a hard turn. It made everything she'd known appear like a dream.

A dream she was envious of. One she was tempted to lose herself in.

"Do you want to join them?" Kaiser's low voice surprised her. Somehow, Lenore had forgotten about him while she was lost in the debauchery around them.

"Is that why you brought me here?"

"No, but if you want to play with the humans I won't deny you the pleasure." He pressed his body into hers, fitting to the curves like a puzzle piece.

Lenore shivered at the feel of his hot breath skirting the sweat building on her skin. Kaiser's touch was hard to ignore – the rush of the bond and the strange itch it created was tempting. It would be easy to persuade her to do something shouldn't. Which made him more dangerous to her than anyone else.

"I'd rather not play with anyone."

"Suit yourself." The tips of his fingers brushed her cheek, slid down her neck to her shoulder then he pulled away.

Lenore reached up and touched her cheek, peeking up at him. Why did Kaiser keep touching her and why didn't she stop him? He didn't appear to be interested in touching others. In fact, from the moment they met Kaiser had treated her this way. It was strange, like he looked for any opportunity to touch her. 

"Why did we come here?" 

"Because it's the perfect place to plot revenge. Don't you agree?"

She blinked, slow. Kaiser smiled at her confusion, leaning down and bringing his face close to hers. "Revenge doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, love. It should be enjoyed." 

They held each other's gaze for a heartbeat, then Kaiser tilted his head and nodded in the direction of the bar. Lenore didn't know how to respond to him, only followed after him when he turned and walked away. The bartender noticed Kaiser through the bustle of patrons, made eye contact with him and approached. Lenore couldn't hear the exchange of words between them, only noticed the signal the bartender threw toward a bouncer that seemed to be guarding a door next to the bar.

They passed through the door and began to descend narrow stairs. The shift in energy happened gradually like a faint stream of whispers growing into a roar of voices. Lenore's skin prickled with the familiar sensation of when Kaiser had used his power but this wasn't his power. It didn't calm or cloak her. This was more like dozens of ants crawling, and biting her skin.

"Stick close to me," Kaiser said as they reached the bottom of the stairs and passed through another door.

This room was lit with warm, overhead lights and the walls were lined with booths – some hidden behind closed curtains. There was a stage in the center of the room where a couple of girls appeared to be performing some kind of acrobatic show–hanging from heavy strips of fabric, twirling and flipping around.