Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Battlefield(4)

1 minute from now. That was it.

Hwang In-gang who’d been lost in thought clicked his tongue.

“Blocking the aorta with a balloon catheter would save time. But, that’s an emergency technique even our chief hasn’t tried before. I also only watched the video posted by the thoracic department at the Shunguk University website.”

Dowook’s fingertips twitched at the specific surgery plan Hwang In-gang revealed, and he recognized that the process was something he could do.

That was it, the patient could be saved with that.

“If there’s a way, we should try it.”

“Who’s going to do it? Even now, we can send him up to surgery….”

Beee—

The electrocardiogram showed that the heart had stopped.

“Arrest! CPR!”

Yoon Jin Cheol immediately went to the chest and started compressing. Hwang In-gang’s expression froze when the patient went into cardiac arrest as Dowook said.

Be-beep.

Cardiovascular drugs were injected and the heart, which had stopped, started beating again due to the continuous CPR. However, the rhythm was more unstable than before.

The pulse transmitted through Chief Ji’s sense could not be felt any longer. It meant there was no difference with death.

Dowook became more sure of his decision.

“I will do the procedure. Dr. Hwang, please assist.”

It was a nonsensical proposal from a neurosurgery resident to perform an abdominal procedure in front of a thoracic surgeon. Hwang In-gang was so shocked that he couldn’t even get angry.

“Then, there will be punishment. It crosses the line.”

“Rather than killing the patient at the next arrest, I will cross the line.”

Everyone was astonished by the declaration and looked at Dowook.

Dowook gave the order at the thought that it was a battle of time in seconds.

“Nurse, please look for a balloon catheter. Since it has to go into the femoral artery, tube size no. 7. Dr. Yoon, Dr. Seo, what do you want to do?”

Yoon Jin Cheol had already stepped up to assist Dowook, Seo Dae Jun also looked at him and just stuck next to him.

The nurse rummaged through the emergency kit and found an envelope containing a silicone balloon tube. Even while the envelope was opened and the tools inside were sterilized, Hwang In-gang was looking at the situation sourly.

“Everyone’s just gone crazy.”

Hwang In-gang let out a deep sigh.

“Hey, neurosurgeon. Let me ask you one thing. Does your department also train for severe trauma? Holding the arteries as well for the matter. What kind of response is this?”

“I was taught that this is how it should be in the emergency center.”

“Who? Your teacher?”

“Yes.”

To be more specific, the owner of the sensation at his fingertips, Commander G, said so.

“I’ll get punished for not stopping this anyway, so I’ll help. The emergency doctor should prepare for CPR and Dr. Seo take care of that artery the neurosurgeon is holding.”