Chapter 13

Dev was really close to me, I hadn't been in such a close proximity with anyone. To say that my heart was hammering would be an understatement. It was experiencing a tornado at the moment. That's how fast my heartbeat was.

I couldn't even look him in the eye, now that he knew the truth. I was engulfed in my own thoughts until he spoke again.

'Why would you, Ms. Tara Sharma of all people want to come and take care of me in the hospital huh? You always look for ways and reasons to quarrel with me and suddenly you were being so kind and all. Do you take me for a fool? I thought if I'd be friends with you, you'd at least tell the truth.'

'So you knew all this while that I was the one who did this?'

'I'm not done yet. You're such a good actress Tara, all the care, the friendship, all of it was fake, wasn't it? All of this just because I'm the captain, so that you can become famous.'

'Don't spin this situation around okay, you were backstabbing my brother, that's what we were talking about. Why are you bringing up something I did so that you feel good about yourself?'

I tried to push him away.

He held my hand tight and put it behind me so that I wouldn't move.

'I'm not spinning anything around me Tara, I did what I had to. And about me knowing that you did this, I saw you mix the peanut butter in my protein shake Goddammit! I saw you do this in the gym, and when you came to the hospital, I knew it was guilt that brought you here.'

'But none of this explains why you are against my brother.'

'Against?' he started laughing sarcastically. He released my hand and went to get his phone. He came back, and put his phone in my hand.

'See for yourself, who I was talking to.'

I saw my brother's name. I was confused. I didn't understand what was happening.

'Still didn't understand what is going on?'

'No.'

'Somebody was trying to demean your brother a few matches ago by saying that I always play for him. I wanted him to play alone today and so I got myself admitted here in the hospital, so that he would show his potential. What you saw on T.V. today is how your brother should be praised and awarded.'

'But then you were talking about him being blamed if anything goes wrong in the finals?'

'I was telling him that someone from the team said that. Before I could complete my sentence, you stormed in and here we are.'

Shitt! I fucked up didn't I ?

'I'm sorry! I didn't know.'

'Of course! how would you? You're always stuck up in your own world, that you don't even care about what others are going through.'

'Huh what?'

'Nothing. You should go back to the hotel, Tara. Thanks for everything.'

'I'm not going anywhere until you get discharged.'

'The whole illness thing is fake, there's no reason for you to stay here anymore.'

'But I want to.'

'What is your problem Tara? I asked you to leave didn't I?'

'And I told you I'm not leaving. Not until you forgive me. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you, I guess I was being selfish, I was pissed off that I lost my book because of you and that's why I pranked you to take revenge. I never meant any harm. Sorry for everything.'