Chapter 14

After the night of celebrating, it was only right for the next day to arrive on a peaceful note, even if it were due to all of the intense hang overs all of Rohan were feeling. Gimli and Boromir were still passed out in their beds by the time Maddie had risen from her own; she had changed into her usual clothes, having been returned to her washed and dries with a new set of lavender late the night before. As she collected herself some breakfast, however, she bumped into Legolas who was very much like her: hungover free and ready for the day with a bowl of porridge. The pair sat and ate together as they discussed the events that took place the night before "congrats on your win in the ale drinking contest" Maddie smirked, earning a grin from her friend "it was so strange...I felt a tingling sensation within me" Legolas explained; the young girl chuckled "well, congratulations my friend, you now know how it feels to start to get tipsy" she teased. As he joined in on the laughter, Legolas changed the subject as he asked why Maddie's entire demeanour had changed later on in the night; the teenager, upon recalling the memory she would like to forget, felt her cheeks turn red with embarrassment. This only succeeded in growing the Elves curiosity, pushing her for an answer "I wanted to talk to Aragorn, but I couldn't find him, nor could I seem to find Arwen to ask where he might be" she began to explain as she rubbed her forehead "I went to his room and was about to knock when I heard certain...noises" she was glad to learn through Legolas' that she didn't have to explain any further. "Let me guess, you turned and bolted back to the hall?" he questioned with a smirk; Maddie joined in with the laughter with a chuckle of her own, exclaiming how it was the only thing she could do "it was like walking in on your parents! It was mortifying!" she laughed awkwardly "god knows how I'm going to look either of them in the eye for the next few days".

Speaking of the devils, the couple themselves entered the hall with their own breakfast and sat with them; they greeted their two friends, asking how they were, but never received an answer as Legolas looked to the young girl, holding back him laughter as he watched her suddenly find her porridge extra interesting. "Maddie? Everything alright?" Arwen questioned with concern, only to watch as the teenager shot up from her seat, "I'm going to go check on River!" she rushed out before making a very quick B-line for the doors to the great hall. Laughing to himself as he shook his head, Legolas continued to eat his food as the couple asked him about Maddie; he gladly explained, watching as the horror and embarrassment washed over them. A highly amusing scene to witness in the Elves opinion. As for Maddie, she let out a deep sigh of relief once she was out of the hall; she made her way over to the stables where she was greeted by the ill-looking Háma who appeared to have pulled the short straw with having to arise early to tend to the horses. The pair spoke somewhat briefly while they groomed the horses, as well as gave them food and water before Maddie wished him a good day and went for a walk around the village; it was peaceful, people only just beginning to leave their homes to begin their own days with headaches and promised to never even look at ale ever again. It was rather amusing, but the teenager, being used to seeing this most days from her time working in a tavern, felt sympathy for the kind people of Rohan. After a lovely walk, however, Maddie's eyes were drawn to something in the distance. It was a horse with its rider - no, two riders! Squinting her eyes to grant herself a better look, the teenager realised they were mere children! A young boy and an even younger girl if her eyes weren't tricking her. "What on Earth?" she mumbled to herself before she watched as the young boy's eyes flutter shut before slipping from the saddle, landing in the dirt and grass with a thud.

With wide worry filled eyes, Maddie broke out into a sprint, running as fast as she could to the children; it was as she grew closer that she realised they were much younger than she had first believed. "Èothain!" the young girl was crying out to the boy, struggling to get down from the height of the horse; Maddie motioned for her to stay where she was as she reached the two, falling to her knees as she rolled the boy over onto his front. It was only as she saw his chest rising and falling before his eyes fluttered open once again that she let out a deep sigh of relief. "Are you injured?" Maddie asked, earning a slow shake of the head; the teenager looked up to the girl "what about you? Does anywhere hurt?" she was glad to learn neither were injured. However, from the dark bags under their eyes, Maddie could safely say they were exhausted. How long had they been travelling? When did they last eat? Where were their parents? 'This must be what it was like for the others when they first met me' Maddie thought to herself. Picking the boy up, Maddie placed him onto the horse before climbing on at the back; she reached around the children, using her outstretched arms as a way to keep them up right as she guided them into the village. "You don't have to worry now" Maddie reassured upon sensing the fear coming from the pair "you're safe now, I promise". The villages - those who were up and about - noticed the strangers and watched with confusion as they passed. As she reached the stables, Maddie jumped down first before helping the children; the little girl clung around her neck as Maddie continued to hold her, held her up with her left arm and hip, using the other to hold up her brother. The pair looked a lot alike, so she came to the conclusion that they were siblings.