Chapter 1

What a day! Since stepping through the doors to the tavern known as The Prancing Pony right before the sun reached its peak of midday, young Maddie Hunter hadn't stopped for a moment as she dived into the long list of tasks, all of which needed to be completed to earn her next pouch of gold coins. And it was now seven O clock in the evening! Letting out a tired sigh, the fifteen-year-old hurried to serve all the awaiting customers their drinks and food before cleaning up after them. You're probably wondering why a young teenager would be working in a tavern of all places? Well, you see, Maddie had quite the tragic life for someone her age. All of which had forced her to live a life on the streets, begging for whatever the passing strangers were willing to give away. As she grew up, however, Maddie found herself resorting to pick pocketing and stealing. She was never proud of it, so she swore to herself to only take what she desperately needed; she didn't wish to be a bad person, regardless of her own situation. That was until she hit the age of thirteen. The owner of The Prancing Pony had caught her red handed as she searched through the leftover food that he was going to throw out after a large celebration. Instead of flying into a rage and forcing her out of the tavern, the kind owner allowed her to take and eat what she wished from the left overs before offering her a job that would gain her some hard earned coin; he warned her that the pay wouldn't be great but she was free to keep any and all tips she made, as well as could have her meals and drinks there for free while she worked. Maddie couldn't get her words of acceptance out fast enough. The job included her being his main barmaid where she would prepare, cook and serve the food and drinks to paying customers, clean up after them, as well as the rented out rooms whenever they weren't in use, open up and close the tavern whenever the owner couldn't, help with any of the entertainment whenever business was busy and so much more. Instead of thinking it was all too much for a single person, she took the opportunity and ran with it by doing all she could to do a good job! However, there were a few downsides to the job. There was always an odd creep for a customer that would try to flirt with her and suggest certain things, even with the knowledge of her young age. The pay, of which she was given at the end of every week, was rather low considering all she did, though the owner had indeed warned her of that. But it was better than nothing, and she could defend herself easily enough.

Pleased to finally have a moment of peace, Maddie took a much deserved moment of rest as she leant against the dark oak bar and fidgeted with the necklace around her neck while taking a sip of water; she enjoyed the five minutes, using it to catch her breath and rest her legs as all of the customers were happily sat with their food and drinks, chatting with one another as if they had all been friends for years upon years. Nor there any messes that needed cleaning up. But, as always, the moment of peace quickly changed as the teenager noticed the door to the tavern open once again. Maddie was rather surprising as she was greeted by the sight of a dark shoulder length haired man who looked to be a ranger of some sorts, an elegant long and blonde-haired elf, a stout dwarf with long braided ginger hair with an equally impressive beard to match, and a tall, bearded wizard, dressed in grey clothes and a pointy hat, finished with a staff in hand. All of them were heavily armed, holding a bag each which the young girl assumed meant they were passing travellers. It didn't surprise her all that much those were the typical types of customers that the tavern was used to accommodating. Though this group was quite the mixture, that much she would admit. It was a known fact to all that dwarves and elves didn't get along; she never understood why, but believed she had read something about how a dragon was involved? As well as gems maybe? Ridding herself of the thoughts, Maddie pushed herself to stand up straight and quickly hid her necklace back under the fabric of her dress for safe keeping before she moved towards the small group as they approached bar, removing their cloaks. Becoming the kind barmaid that she was trained to be, the teenager sent the group a polite smile as she greeted them "what can I get you?" she questioned, listening as the man requested if they might have a room spare for the night, one preferably with four separate beds. The girl knew each rented out room like the back of her hand – she was the one who cleaned and maintained them after all - and apologized as she revealed how there was only one room remaining room free, but it only had two double beds. "Though we have a few spare bedrolls I could get for you, if that might be something you'd consider?" she suggested, earning a brief nod as he agreed, not even bothering to spare a glance to his travelling companions for their say.