Chapter 1- Venkman

My parents both refused custody of me when I was born. Mom was claimed to be mentally unstable, and Dad was charged with attempted murder. Toward me. They were both put in facilities, and I was left with my grandparents. They loved and cared for me, and I couldn't be happier to be with them.

Speaking of grandparents, they taught at SUNY Cortland. They were barely around me because of the college. I learned to fend for myself. I was even considering going to my aunt's for the summer. She would always tell me anecdotes about my parents, and they were always hilarious.

The front door opened and shut. I jumped up, grinning. "Grandpa!"

"Hey, kid." Grandpa ruffled my hair as I hugged him.

"How was your lecture?" I helped him with his bags.

"Well, half of the kids fell asleep again," Grandpa sighed. "Your uncle called, at least."

"Really? How's it going with trying to retire early?" I asked.

"I know! He's only in his forties," Dad agreed. "Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bad influence."

"You're always a bad influence," I joked.

"Thank you," Grandpa replied, making me smile. "Listen. I'm sorry to say this, kid, but the university wants me to practically live in my office for the next few weeks."

"So you and Grandma are not going to be around?" I guessed, raising an eyebrow as my smile faded.

"Not as much as you want us to." Grandpa frowned.

I hugged him. I knew he tried his best to be around me. We loved spending time together. Grandma even said we spend too much time together. Maybe Grandpa's sarcasm has rubbed too much off me.

"If I stay with Aunt Jenny for a few weeks during the summer, would you mind?" I asked.

"That's completely fine. I know how much you love spending time with her. Let me know and I'll give you the money. In fact, here." Grandpa went into the cookie jar we used for money stashing. He handed me three hundred dollars. "Just text me or leave me a note on the table. I love you."

"I love you too," I mumbled as I hugged him again.

Grandpa had to leave a few hours later. Grandma was home at midnight when she thought I was asleep. She walked straight into the master bedroom and I could hear snoring a few minutes later.

I looked around, searching for the source of the buzzing sound. It was like it was coming from under the floorboards. I got up and turned on a lamp. I got out of bed and looked at the floorboards for a break.

Found it.

I pulled a P.K.E. meter out of the floor. The sticks spread out as I slowly pointed it at the door. I got scared. The thought of someone watching you while you couldn't see them doesn't seem scary? Think again.

"Who's there?" I breathed.

The light flicked on, making me yelp. I calmed down. Don't wake up Grandma. Don't wake up Grandma. I calmed myself. This thing was possibly human. The possibility was very little, but I could still take a chance.

"Are you intrigued?" I looked around, searching for anything moving. "Do you know who I am?"

The lamp on my desk turned on and nodded. "Can you tell me who you are?"

A marker lifted itself to the map taped to the wall. It circled a small town in Oklahoma. Summerville. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "You want me to... go?"

The lamp nodded again.

"You're lucky that's where my aunt lives." I sighed. "Guess I'm going early."

I wrote a note for Grandma to wake up to and set off for Summerville, Oklahoma.